Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection call out of the blue

tag
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

Collection call out of the blue

I got a collection call last night regarding a credit card that I had 13 years ago. The account was closed and written as a charge off, and fell off my credit reports long ago. I didn't answer the call. While I am fully aware that they can sue me if they choose to, what should I do from here? Should I go on about my day as though they never called? Should I answer when/if they call back, tell them it's past the statue of limitations to collect, and go suck an egg? Or should I try to negotiate a settlement?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Collection call out of the blue

@marathonmama24 wrote:

I got a collection call last night regarding a credit card that I had 13 years ago. The account was closed and written as a charge off, and fell off my credit reports long ago. I didn't answer the call. While I am fully aware that they can sue me if they choose to, what should I do from here? Should I go on about my day as though they never called? Should I answer when/if they call back, tell them it's past the statue of limitations to collect, and go suck an egg? Or should I try to negotiate a settlement?

13 years ago? Lol I don't know of any state that will allow them to sue ....Idle threats 

You are completely out of SOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

So I should just ignore them then?

Message 3 of 7
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Absolutely ignore it.   They can't report since it's past 7.5 years, they can't sue since it's past whatever the SOL in your state it.    They're just hoping they call someone who caves and pays them...but that someone won't be you.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seruby wrote:

Absolutely ignore it.   They can't report since it's past 7.5 years, they can't sue since it's past whatever the SOL in your state it.    They're just hoping they call someone who caves and pays them...but that someone won't be you.

+1....they cant sue you... just ignore the calls  or block them

Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@marathonmama24 wrote:

So I should just ignore them then?

While Lol on the phone for kicks if you like for the aggrevation of calling you with that BS 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@seruby wrote:

+1.

Send them a cease and desist letter. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.