Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection calls to a relative?

tag
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

Collection calls to a relative?

I have a collection account with Portfolio Recovery that I haven't been able to resolve but anyway, they started calling my niece's phone (no idea where they got it because even I don't know her number by heart and have never used it in anything). She's a minor and has a no contract phone that uses minutes and they've been harassing her and she's taken messages for returning call. I called them to try to remove her number but I guess since they were able to "reach" me through her, they said they couldn't remove the number. I did tell them too that if they want to contact me in the future, to do so my mail but the lady didn't seem to agree. At this point, I'm wondering if there's any way I can get them to remove her number from my file? SOL for this account has expired (in CA) and it's due to fall off my report in 2015. Although I had originally wanted to pay it for the amount I owed and not the added interest that almost doubled the amount I owed, they haven't agreed to a pay for delete (which is what I want) or any settlements I tried to make with them so I was going to just wait for it to fall off. Besides, they've been updating my credit report monthly anyway since 10/2013 so unless they do something sneaky and change the DOFD, I don't see how they'll be able to drop my score any more than where it's at. Any advice on how I would proceed with this?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Collection calls to a relative?

The simplest solution would be for your niece to change her phone number and for you to settle this collection account, since they obviously like to play dirty. Sorry you're dealing with this.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 2 of 4
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Your niece should not have to change her number. It is definitely against the law for them to be contacting family about your debt. An expert should chime in and tell you what exactly they are violating and how to proceed but I know they cannot do this.
Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@MoreInfo1 wrote:

I have a collection account with Portfolio Recovery that I haven't been able to resolve but anyway, they started calling my niece's phone (no idea where they got it because even I don't know her number by heart and have never used it in anything). She's a minor and has a no contract phone that uses minutes and they've been harassing her and she's taken messages for returning call. I called them to try to remove her number but I guess since they were able to "reach" me through her, they said they couldn't remove the number. I did tell them too that if they want to contact me in the future, to do so my mail but the lady didn't seem to agree. At this point, I'm wondering if there's any way I can get them to remove her number from my file? SOL for this account has expired (in CA) and it's due to fall off my report in 2015. Although I had originally wanted to pay it for the amount I owed and not the added interest that almost doubled the amount I owed, they haven't agreed to a pay for delete (which is what I want) or any settlements I tried to make with them so I was going to just wait for it to fall off. Besides, they've been updating my credit report monthly anyway since 10/2013 so unless they do something sneaky and change the DOFD, I don't see how they'll be able to drop my score any more than where it's at. Any advice on how I would proceed with this?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Per the FDCPA. a collector is only allowed to make contact for location information.  They cannot discuss the debt with them only ask about a way to contact you.  They are not allowed to contact you again unless they believe the person gave erroneous information or has updated information.

Since she is a minor I would let the CA know that.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.