cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection coming back

tag
GKT

Collection coming back

I've been keeping a close eye on all my credit reports because I would like to buy a house soon this year. The only negative thing on all three was $396 with Allied Collection, which I'm waiting to fall off in March 2014. Today, Esperian is showing another collection of $396 from FBCS Collection agency. Can somebody tell me what to do? I've been waiting a long time for this to fall off and coming so close, but I don't understand why  there are now 2 collections for $396. Does this mean I have to wait another 7 years for the new collection?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Collection coming back

Sounds like the OC sold it to another agency. Verify that it is the same account. Then check with OC to see who in fact has the authority to collect. The other one has to be deleted. That sucks!

Message 2 of 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

@GKT wrote:

I've been keeping a close eye on all my credit reports because I would like to buy a house soon this year. The only negative thing on all three was $396 with Allied Collection, which I'm waiting to fall off in March 2014. Today, Esperian is showing another collection of $396 from FBCS Collection agency. Can somebody tell me what to do? I've been waiting a long time for this to fall off and coming so close, but I don't understand why  there are now 2 collections for $396. Does this mean I have to wait another 7 years for the new collection?

I had a similar issue. An Old TMobile account was showing up under Midland, but yet Experian was also showing another collection agency (Sunrise Credit Services) for the same account, in the same amount. I called Sunrise, since I knew Midland had the debt now, and I asked them to see if they can locate an account under my name. They said they couldn't find anything.

So, as I have learned here, a Return Receipt Certified Letter was sent to Sunrise requesting they validate the debt. Within 3 days of them receiving the letter, they removed it from my CR. About 10 days later, I received an official email stating they have removed it and will never contact me about this issue again.

I would contact the "old" CA that was showing until now, and see if they have an account for you, or if they sold it. If not, you could send them a DV letter, and when they can't verify, they have to remove it. If the original CA still has the debt, then you would send a DV letter to the new one. 

As for the waiting 7 more years, as long as it is the same account, and from the sounds of it (same amount as well) it may very well be, then no. The original DOFD still applies. I know they could be different accounts, but it is unlikely seeing how the amounts are EXACTLY the same. 

Hope that helps

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 3 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

@IamB2 wrote:

@GKT wrote:

I had a similar issue. An Old TMobile account was showing up under Midland, but yet Experian was also showing another collection agency (Sunrise Credit Services) for the same account, in the same amount. I called Sunrise, since I knew Midland had the debt now, and I asked them to see if they can locate an account under my name. They said they couldn't find anything.

So, as I have learned here, a Return Receipt Certified Letter was sent to Sunrise requesting they validate the debt. Within 3 days of them receiving the letter, they removed it from my CR. About 10 days later, I received an official email stating they have removed it and will never contact me about this issue again.

I would contact the "old" CA that was showing until now, and see if they have an account for you, or if they sold it. If not, you could send them a DV letter, and when they can't verify, they have to remove it. If the original CA still has the debt, then you would send a DV letter to the new one. 

As for the waiting 7 more years, as long as it is the same account, and from the sounds of it (same amount as well) it may very well be, then no. The original DOFD still applies. I know they could be different accounts, but it is unlikely seeing how the amounts are EXACTLY the same. 

Hope that helps

+1 awesome advice.

Message 4 of 7
GKT

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try an let you know how it turns out.

Message 5 of 7
GKT

I called Esperian this morning and they said it looked like Allied sold to FBCS. She also told me that the Allied is due to fall off in March 2014 while the newly added FBCS will fall off Feburary 2014. Would you guys recommend disputing or just wait? I'm thinking waiting is much easier, but want to know if this is the best option.

Message 6 of 7
IamB2
Established Contributor

@GKT wrote:

I called Esperian this morning and they said it looked like Allied sold to FBCS. She also told me thatTo  the Allied is due to fall off in March 2014 while the newly added FBCS will fall off Feburary 2014. Would you guys recommend disputing or just wait? I'm thinking waiting is much easier, but want to know if this is the best option.

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother. By the time you send a letter to verify and then they have 30 days to "investigate" and to respond back, by then, this would be due to drop off anyway. So, unless you need this to be removed before March of 2014, I wouldn't even bother. Of course, that is just my opinion. The decision is yours to make of course...

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.