cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection company didn't send proof but won't delete

tag
SRRP

Collection company didn't send proof but won't delete

I had a collection that I was sure I had already paid but was popping up on my report yet again years later with a "different account number" even though it was for the same account.  After multiple phone calls, being hung up on and told I have to pay it, I sent in a letter requesting that they send the proof I owe the debt and for what.  I made sure to include that I needed the amount, dates of services, original account number and of course sent it certified mail with return receipt.  It was signed for and after 60 days, i still have not received anything from this collection company showing the debt I owe nor have they taken it off my report.

My question is, since they did not show what I owe or validate the debt and the amount of time they had to respond has passed, what should my next step be to have it taken off my reports?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection company didn't send proof but won't delete

I would dispute it with the credit bureau. Don't forget to include the letter you sent to the collection agency showing you asked for validation. 

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I prresume that your letter was a DV request.

A debt collector has no set time limit in which they must respond.  The DV, if timely, placed them under a cease collection bar, and there would be no violation unless they continued active collection prior to providing vlidation.

The CRAs are not a party to the DV process.  It is a debt collection practices issue between the debt collector and the consumer.

Issues pertaining to verification or lack therof are not the purview of the CRAs.

Message 3 of 7
SRRP

Yes, it was a DV asking them to delete if I did not owe (AT&T has told me there is no balance).  What is the 45 day window in which they must validate or delete per the FCRA?  I specifically requested that they prove this debt was mine to be paid or delete it off my record.

Message 4 of 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@SRRP wrote:

Yes, it was a DV asking them to delete if I did not owe (AT&T has told me there is no balance).  What is the 45 day window in which they must validate or delete per the FCRA?  I specifically requested that they prove this debt was mine to be paid or delete it off my record.

Since you have paid AT&T directly have you asked them to recall the debt from collections?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 5 of 7
SRRP

I hope I am using the right terms on this.  I specifically asked them to verify that I do owe the debt from the original creditor (AT&T) and to send proof of my bill with them with the balance, usage and all dates.  In the letter I request that if they cannot prove I owe the debt, then they need to remove it immediately.

Message 6 of 7
SRRP

I have asked them and constantly get the run around.  After hours upon hours on the phone with them, it was discovered that when I took a phone off my line, they changed my account number from the original.  I transferred to another carrier and paid my balance (which I have a receipt for still after 6 years) but just recently a local collection agency put a collection from them for around $1,000.  I have asked the collection agency for proof of what I owe and they cannot give it.  AT&T has apologized for the two account numbers on one account as well as telling me they cannot do anything about it since it was sold at a $0 balance over 5 years ago.  When AT&T prints the last statement for the account the collection agency says I owe, it shows a $0 balance.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.