cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection company using orginal creditor account number, PCI compliance?

tag
cyber0ne

Collection company using orginal creditor account number, PCI compliance?

Have this collection account on my credit thanks to my wife.....  Didnt relize she included my SS# when she applied for CareCredit account.....

When looking at it, the orginal creditor is on my credit report, shows the account number, shows what was written off which Im assuming is what Portfolio Recovery purchased the debt for.

Now I have written to Portifolio Recovery asking for Proof, which all I get is a letter back saying they verified the info, and I have fought this on my credit and they give me the so simple ya we verified this....

While I was looking at my credit report I noticed that the account number with CareCredit is the same as Portifolio Recovery.  Doesnt the collection company have to assign a new account number as this is a credit card number and they have to follow PCI compliance?  Or are Collection companys except from PCI compliance?  

In the end Im going to have to settle and Im getting ready to send that letter off, but anything I can do to make Portifolio Recovorys life more difficult Im all for!

THanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection company using orginal creditor account number, PCI compliance?

If it was an active CC number you could argue that point, but being a defaulted, closed, and charged off account, the number has no signifigance or value beyond identifying the debt.

Message 2 of 7
Downto0
Regular Contributor

It kind of sounds like your wife got the account and you were an authorized user.  An authorized user is not liable to pay the debt..unless you live in a community property state.

Message 3 of 7
cyber0ne

"It kind of sounds like your wife got the account and you were an authorized user." - thats it right there....   

Trying to fix the issue in the long run, but needing these items off ASAP....   Also just noticed on my one report the debt collection dropped the first 2 numbers on that report but on the other 2 reports its different.....  so Im thinking I can use that against them to get it removed?  Or do they report different account numbers to each CA? (ya dumb question but had to ask)

Message 4 of 7
cyber0ne

And no we do not live in a community property state.  but what she did was got a credit line to have some teeth fixed.......  with Care Credit.......  and added my SS# to it without telling me......   I paid the debt but then one day we got a payment due for 3x's the typically montly payment.  When I called them they told me they rasied their rates etc.... and thats my new payment.  I was out of work at the time, 3 kids etc... so it was feed kids or pay this stupid card.   

Things are better now and I do plan on trying to fix this, but want it off my name as I need clean credit for my job and this gets questioned every 6 months.  Trying to work it out with the OC but thats a mess of trying to find the correct contact to get it done....

@Downto0 wrote:

It kind of sounds like your wife got the account and you were an authorized user.  An authorized user is not liable to pay the debt..unless you live in a community property state.

Message 5 of 7
Downto0
Regular Contributor

Who is reporting trade lines?  OC and PRA or just the OC or just PRA?

PRA would probably do a pay for delete with you.  The OCs are a different animal.  They simply don't care because they gain nothing for deleting their account.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the app for credit sent as an individual account in only her name, or as an app for a joint account with both of you as responsible?

That should be a factual determination from your app papers, aside from how the creditor reported it to the CRA.

Are you asserting misuse of your identity, or mis-resporting by the creditor?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.