Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection deleted but a still calling me

tag
UpmyscoreinFL
Frequent Contributor

Collection deleted but a still calling me

So I had a collection on transunion and it was deleted because of a dv letter and then a dispute. Collection agency called me again today of course I never answer. Will they quit calling me?
Equifax my fico 629
Transunion my fico 669
Experian fako 663
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection deleted but a still calling me

Maybe, maybe not.

If you sent a timely DV and they did not provide debt verification, they remain under a cease collection bar.

Deletion of credit reporting has absolutely no effect on their requirement to cease collection on the debt until such time as they have provided debt verification.

If you have a timely DV pending with them, I would pick up the phone in a hearbeat, establishing an illegal communication with you.

Dont discuss anything with them on the merits, just politely advise them that you will file a complaint with the FTC for their violation of their cease communication bar should any further communication be made.

If you dont have a timely DV pending with them, then yes, they are free to do their job.

Message 2 of 6
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

@UpmyscoreinFL wrote:
So I had a collection on transunion and it was deleted because of a dv letter and then a dispute. Collection agency called me again today of course I never answer. Will they quit calling me?

Unless the collection was paid, I believe they can continue to try to collect on it forever, even if it is deleted from your credit report and even after the CRTP and SOL has expired.  Once the SOL has expired, you would have a defense if they ever tried to sue you, but they can still try to collect on it.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Not if they have a timely DV for which they have not yet provided verification......

OP stated that a DV was sent.

Message 4 of 6
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

Sorry, I missed that and didn't see your post before I sent mine.  I wish I would have seen yours before I got a phone call yesterday from a debt collector.  Just received a dunnning notice within the last few weeks and sent them a DV.  They haven't responded to my DV and called yesterday.  I explained to them that I would not speak to them about anything until I received the debt verification.  They wanted me to confirm the last 4 digits of my SS# but I refused.  I forgot that they were under a cease collection bar because this was a timely DV.  I hope they call again so I can catch them in violation.  The man was not very nice on the phone, but I stood my ground.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You can always send the CA a cease communications letter ~ if you request them to stop calling they have to comply per the FDCPA.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.