cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection for false debt from AT&T - how to resolve?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection for false debt from AT&T - how to resolve?

Sort of a long story - About a year ago, I was looking for internet at my apartment and called AT&T and spoke with a representative.  After letting him know I wanted internet service, he begun setting me up an account to check pricing.  He took my address and information and after him telling me the pricing I clearly let him know that I didn't want the service.  He acknowledged this and told me the order would be cancelled.

I recently pulled my report and had a collection for $200 from a CA where the OC was AT&T. 

What is my best route to dispute this?  Will AT&T have my original phone call recorded?

Does anyone have an idea if I should call them or send a letter, and then if they admit the mistake will they recall the debt or will I have to go to the CA.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection for false debt from AT&T - how to resolve?

The first thing I would do is to call the OC and ask to speak to a supervisior.  Explain your situation, and see what they offer.

If that does not work, then file a direct dispute with the OC under FCRA 623(a)(8).

If that still does not work, you would have two options.

First, you could use the identity theft process, asserting that someone falsely used your identity to set up the account.

Second, you could bring legal actin against them, and thus obtain benefit of the discovery process to get their records.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.  I appreciate it.

I just spent 2 and a half hours on the phone with AT&T and after my fifth representative I finally spoke to someone with the authority to make changes.  I explained the situation, and even though the notes said I had set up an account, he agreed to put the account to 0 and agreed that I was billed in error.  

He let me know that I would have to call the CA and let them know that the debt was in error and they can verify with AT&T and then the debt will be removed from my credit report.  Is this the best course of action now, since essentially there was no debt and they can not verify?

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The creditor has the responsibility, if they acknowledge the debt was in error, to immediately notify their debt collector of the error.

There is nothing per se wrong with filing a disipute with the debt collector, but the OC is taking the lazy way out.

You should not have to dispute something that has already been acknowledged as inaccurate.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.