cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection for overdrawn checking account. Proper validation of debt?

tag
theo78
New Contributor

Collection for overdrawn checking account. Proper validation of debt?

I asked RJM Acquisitions LLC for validation (via CMRR 2 X) of a collection for a Bank of America overdrawn checking account from 5 years ago. They responded with a paper I signed to open the account, a copy of my bank statement with a negative balance, a letter saying they own the debt now and how much they are collecting and Bank of America's address. I asked them to show where Bank of America wrote this account off, how much was written off, and under what authority they were collecting this debt for Bank Of America.  They did not provide that information .Does this do as proper validation? This is the third or fourth debt collection agency to have this account. This just showed up on my credit report. How should I proceed?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection for overdrawn checking account. Proper validation of debt?

Actually by reporting standards.  I do believe they sent you what is necessary.  Hopefully someone else will jump in here but they don't have to give you loads of info like some people think they should.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 11
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

It seems that since they validated your DV, the best course of action may be a PFD (Pay for Delete).  RJM is VERY good with PFDs.  It only took about a month between the time I sent them a PFD, they responded, I sent the money, and the delete from the CRAs.

Also, since this is "third or fourth debt collection agency to have this account", I'd strike while the iron is hot.  Another agency will not be as generous as RJM.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 3 of 11
theo78
New Contributor

How much should I offer on a PFD? They are saying I owe $1400. Of that, $1100 are overdraft fees. These were accrued in a one month period. Bank of America selectively chose the order in witch items were cleared causing a large amount of over draft fees. This is my only bad item on my credit report and is really pissing me off....

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is very odd that they put an overdrawn checking acount on your credit report...unless you were overdrawn by alot.

Message 5 of 11
theo78
New Contributor

Like I said. It's a toatal of $1400 and $1100 are overdraft fees...
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh ok. Well if you get the funds to pay i would negotiate a PFD. Alot of time you might be able to settle for less and still do PFD. check the adress on your credit report and send a PFD letter to that adress.

Message 7 of 11
theo78
New Contributor

I just counted. in the course of 1 month they charged me EXACTLY 30 overdraft fees at $35 a pop totaling $1050 in fees. I had requested not to have transactions go threw if there were not funds.

Message 8 of 11
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Since it was over 5 years ago, I would start with 50% ($700).  They may counter, but it is a place to start.

I know you're PO'ed.  Fees can be unreal.  However, this won't just go away.  The lower your score, the more you'll pay in interest over the life of any card or loan.  As I said in an earlier post, RJM is pretty easy to work with in comparison to other CAs.  This debt could get passed along to an agency that isn't as nice and that CA could tack on more fees and interest.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 9 of 11
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

I think I recall getting something in the mail about a class action lawsuit against a bank based on the order in which they processed debits (checks and other debits) in order to maximize the insufficient fund charges for the bank.   I don't think it was Bank of America, but maybe one day that will happen with them.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.