cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection from comcast, don't understand the CA, who should I GW to?

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Collection from comcast, don't understand the CA, who should I GW to?

So I recently pulled my fico from this site and I have a collection from Comcast.  Its for 206 bucks which I can't possibly understand because I know I covered my bill and dropped off the hardware in person.  I hear this is really really common for them to do.  Like they don't even contact you, just throw something on your report.

My question is, should I call them?  If so, and they say I owe, I shouldn't try to organize anything over the phone right?  Its unlikely they'll remove it?

If that fails, the odd thing, in my report, the collection agency is "178YC12940".  What does that mean?  Its comcast's internal collection agency?

If so, and I want to do a written or emailed GW, to whom/where would I send it?

Thanks!

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Collection from comcast, don't understand the CA, who should I GW to?

Do you have any paperwork/receipts still?  Copies of cancelled check from final bill?

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reporting a collcetion to a CRA is not notice to the consumer.

A debt collector is required to send a consumer a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5 days after reporting.

That notice is required to provide the name of the current debt owner, and identify themseleves so that you can send a request for debt validation.

If they did not send dunning notice, I would call Comcast and ask for their name and contact address.

You obviously cannot either exercise your right to request debt validation or pay the debt collector without knowing their name and address.

If Comcast wont cooperate, you call the CRA and attempt to get the full information from them, and/or send a formal complaint to the CFPB for violation of their dunning notice requirement, and more importantly commencing collection activity with no way to pay the debt.

Message 3 of 5
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i believe it would be very safe to assume they are trying to claim you did not return equipment

Message 4 of 5
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

So the first step would be to call them and inquire as to the nature of the charges?  And then find out the # and address of the collection agency it resides with?

I never recieved ANY thing so I have no idea where it would have started.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.