Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection help! Please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection help! Please!

I have two accounts that Collection agency are reporting but about a month ago I went into the original creditor and paid both of them off. One was a cable bill and other was a utility bill. The cable bill collection agency is reporting paid now but my question is shouldn't it be removed? Since I paid the original creditor? I never paid a collection company so why is the collection company reporting paid and not removed? The other Utility bill collection company is still reporting and says I owe.
Thanks for the help!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection help! Please!

Paying a collection does not require the collection agency to remove their reporting of the collection but the second one should report it paid with a zero balance.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I always thought if you paid the original creditor and not the collection agency then the collection agency has no right to claim the debt anymore.
confusion!
Message 3 of 5
jjbryant3
New Contributor

if you have the recipt paying the OC dispute it and submit that as proof. that should get it removed no matter what the collection agency says. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A collection is not requried to be deleted based simply on payment to the original creditor.

What mandates removal of a reported collection is the termination of the collection authority of the debt collector prior to payment of the debt.

If you paid the OC while the debt collector still had assigned collection authority, CRA policy instructs them NOT to delete.

The CRAs wish to maintain complete credit histories, and thus have a policy that collections should not be deleted based on payment of the debt, regardless of whose hands the payment is placed.

The exception is when the collection authority of the debt collector is terminated with the debt still unpaid.

In that situation, the OC can then assign the unpaid debt to another debt collector, which can result in plural collections simultaneously reporting on the same debt.

To prevent that occurence, the CRAs instruct debt collectors to delete their reported collection if their collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.