Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection - how to remove

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Collection - how to remove

So my BF has a collection on his reports from Sprint. I got in contact with the Sprint EO to make sure it was his because he doesnt recall an account. Well they did find his account and it was charged off back in 2001. I look at his reports and the collection agency Enhanced Recovery is reporting it as an open date of 2010.

I have the emails from the EO rep. i spoke to. Im wondering how do i go about getting this collection removed? It has been over 14 years since the charge off date meaning it should have fallen off correct? Heres the final kicker, in 2001 when it got charged off, he was 12 years old. There wouldnt be a way for him to have his own Sprint Account at the age of 12. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection - how to remove

You have two separate issues, each of which are addressed differently.

First is the issue of his asserting the OC account was never his.

That s an identity theft issue that can be addressed by filng a police report stating that he nevr authorized any such account.

Then send the police report to the CRA to obtain block of any information related to the asserted identity theft from his credit report.

Usng the identity theft process permits blocking with no involvment from the creditor or debt collector, and should be the first step.

As for continued shouwing of a collection on a debt that old, assuming the debt were his, it appears to have excleeded the credit report exclusion period of no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

The DOFD would necessarily have preceded the charge-off, and thus if the debt collector reproted the corrrect DOFD, the collection should not be showing in his creidt rperot.  Does his credit report show the DOFD that was reported by the debt collector?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest a hand wriiten dispute via certified mail. Be sure to include documentation from Sprint.  If you dispute it online, it will come back as verified.  A handwritten dispute ensures a person physically reviews and investigates it, not a computer. This is how I finally got a collection removed.

Message 3 of 5
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I emailed the sprint EO again mentioning that he would be 12 years old and to give him a call to verify his SSN of the original account. Now I am waiting for her to get back to me and to call him.

As for writing a hand letter. How would I prove or provide any documentation? Like I could include the emails but would the emails be enough?

As for the what the collection is reporting. I'm not sure what DOFD means but it says
Sprint11
Enhanced Recovery
Date openedopened: 2010
Date last reported: April 2015

As mentioned the sprint EO said the account was opened and charged off in 2001. So it's been well past the 7 year mark and I don't think they would give a 12 year old his own Sprint account.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:
I emailed the sprint EO again mentioning that he would be 12 years old and to give him a call to verify his SSN of the original account. Now I am waiting for her to get back to me and to call him.

As for writing a hand letter. How would I prove or provide any documentation? Like I could include the emails but would the emails be enough? Yup

As for the what the collection is reporting. I'm not sure what DOFD means but it says The DoFD is the date of first delinquency and its commonly refered to as the 30 day late that immediatly preceeds the CO. It can be reported on CR 7.5 yrs from this date,
Sprint11
Enhanced Recovery
Date openedopened: 2010
Date last reported: April 2015

As mentioned the sprint EO said the account was opened and charged off in 2001. So it's been well past the 7 year mark and I don't think they would give a 12 year old his own Sprint account.  You have enough to dispute it as too old to remain on file do it by us mail with copy of email from OC indicating date of CO.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.