cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection just APPEARS after being gone for a year???

tag
credit2014
Established Member

Collection just APPEARS after being gone for a year???

So I have a few disputes in process with the three CRA's right now. I haven't heard back from any of them yet, but they have another week until the 30 days. I've been monitoring my Experian report with Freecreditscore.com because I signed up for the membership so I can refresh it whenever I want. Well, I checked it a week ago and an old collection that was paid and taken off the report last year has been put back on there again. I called the collection agency and they said no, it should not be on my report because it has been paid and cleared in their system and to dispute it with the CRA so that they can verify that it should be deleted.

Well, that's all fine and dandy but why has this all of a sudden popped up out of the blue? It was never on the report until the dispute. In addition to that, I have a charge off that is due to fall off in April and Experian updated the status for January 2014 as "FP" (failed to pay) WTH???

Can someone enlighten me please?

Starting Score: EQ 623 TU 611 EX 565
Current Score: EQ 651 TU 639 EX 580
Goal Score: 650 for now!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection just APPEARS after being gone for a year???

Most creditors and debt collectors have automated systems that kick out monthly updates.

I would venture a guess that a snafu in their internal system marked the paid collection as still pending, and simply kicked out an automated reporting.

As for the status issue, the current status of any account is simply a snapshot of the last reported status.

The prior reporting of the charge-off stands until updated.  if the debt remains unpaid, they can report continued delinquency.

It really is of litle concern, as it does not affect the exclusion date of the charge-off, which is based only on the DOFD on the OC account.

If the debt remains unpaid, then update of status to unpaid really is nothing more than a restatement of the obvious.

A debt that was delinquent and charged-off is unpaid until reported as paid.  I see no real issue.

Message 2 of 3
credit2014
Established Member

Re: Collection just APPEARS after being gone for a year???

Okay, so even though the charge off was given to a collection agency and the collection agency was paid, does this mean that they can still mark it as unpaid? I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, as both of these TLs fall off in April, it's just bothering meSmiley Sad

Thanks for your reply

Starting Score: EQ 623 TU 611 EX 565
Current Score: EQ 651 TU 639 EX 580
Goal Score: 650 for now!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.