cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection letter after payment -- AAH!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection letter after payment -- AAH!!

Long story short 2 months ago moved to a new house and could no longer keep Verizon FiOS.  Last bill was $124 and somehow fell through the cracks (service ended 7/17/16).

Yesterday (9/15) I pay this debt.  Today (9/16) I receive a letter (dated 9/8) from North Shore Agency telling me pay up.

Nothing on credit yet, and I need to keep it that way if possible.  What are my best options to ensure this stays off my credit report, since if they report it now it is already paid?  Do I need to send them the receipt certified mail or just ignore it since it was paid after they sent it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection letter after payment -- AAH!!

If you have paid the debt call the agency and let them know. Fax them the information proving you have paid the original creditor. I would also try to get Verizon to recall the debt.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon (based on the number they gave in the letter) said they saw the payment in full and it would not go on my credit.  It sounds like they still own the debt, the letter doesn't say otherwise.  I am just trying to cover my bases because they can say anything they want on the phone and if something happens good luck proving it, YKWIM?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Verizon (based on the number they gave in the letter) said they saw the payment in full and it would not go on my credit.  It sounds like they still own the debt, the letter doesn't say otherwise.  I am just trying to cover my bases because they can say anything they want on the phone and if something happens good luck proving it, YKWIM?

Thats why you should record such business calls....

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.