Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection letter from old account

tag
DJ21

Collection letter from old account

Hello All,

First I would like to thank everyone on the wealth of knowledge that I have gained from this forum. I started rebuilding my credit about a year ago, and have successfully increased my score over 100 points on all 3 bureaus.

With that being said, I get a phone call last week from Enhanced Recovery, LLC in an attempt to collect an old Sprint bill from God knows how long ago ($121.53). Next, I receive a letter in the mail and it says "this letter serves as notification that your delinquint account may be reported to the national credit bureaus." My question is, wouldn't sprint already have reported it to collections and it would have fallen off after 7 1/2 years? I just started keeping up with my credit and there is not a collection on there from Sprint, not to mention, I've never had a Sprint phone (I have had Nextel and T-Mobile, but I'm pretty sure I closed the accounts years ago and they were paid in full). Should I pay this in full and then it will go away? Can they put a collection on my CR? Also, why did they wait so long to contact me? Sorry if these are redundant questions, I searched the forum, but couldn't find anyone that HASN'T been reported as a collection on the bureaus yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Collection letter from old account

@DJ21 wrote:

Hello All,

First I would like to thank everyone on the wealth of knowledge that I have gained from this forum. I started rebuilding my credit about a year ago, and have successfully increased my score over 100 points on all 3 bureaus.

With that being said, I get a phone call last week from Enhanced Recovery, LLC in an attempt to collect an old Sprint bill from God knows how long ago ($121.53). Next, I receive a letter in the mail and it says "this letter serves as notification that your delinquint account may be reported to the national credit bureaus."

My question is, wouldn't sprint already have reported it to collections and it would have fallen off after 7 1/2 years? I just started keeping up with my credit and there is not a collection on there from Sprint,

Depends on when the DofD is. Do you know the exact date you stop paying?

not to mention, I've never had a Sprint phone (I have had Nextel......Nextel is owned by sprint 

and T-Mobile, but I'm pretty sure I closed the accounts years ago and they were paid in full).

Should I pay this in full and then it will go away? You need to do your research first and figure out if this account is yours....when was DofD....is it still a collectible debt before doing anything

Can they put a collection on my CR? Yes if it hasn't been 7 years from DofD

Also, why did they wait so long to contact me? Maybe its a zombie debt and their just reaching ....won't know until you do the research 

Sorry if these are redundant questions, I searched the forum, but couldn't find anyone that HASN'T been reported as a collection on the bureaus yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum 

I recommend you visit the rebuilding forum and start with a DV to stop all collection activity until you can get the facts about this account 

I'm also having your post moved to rebuilding to better help you 

Good luck 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 21
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

if you can prove the debt is more than seven years old and the letter the collection agency sent did not include something about the sol i believe its a cfpb violation....i would research this and try to collect my $1,000 like i have three times now!

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

"....i would research this and try to collect my $1,000 like i have three times now"

WOW - Three times? Tell me more....

Message 4 of 21
DJ21

Update: I just called the number on the letter and the Date of Deliquency is December 24,2004 and they received it in their office May 06, 2011. I think that it may have been an old Nextel account. What should I do?

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to send a DV letter to the Collection Agency as discusesd above.

Message 6 of 21
starry1
Valued Contributor

@DJ21 wrote:

Update: I just called the number on the letter and the Date of Deliquency is December 24,2004 and they received it in their office May 06, 2011. I think that it may have been an old Nextel account. What should I do?

That is nearly 10 years old.  I would check the SOL in your state, if it is less than 10 years then you can tell them to go pound sand or negotiate a settlement.  If your state's SOL is 10 years or more, I would send a DV and then attempt to work out a settlement if their DV is good.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 21
DJ21

I live in Louisiana so I think the SOL is 10 years. If I just pay it, will they still report it on my CR?

Message 8 of 21
starry1
Valued Contributor

@DJ21 wrote:

I live in Louisiana so I think the SOL is 10 years. If I just pay it, will they still report it on my CR?

Probably not, but if you pay it, make sure to negotiate that they not report or delete any reporting.  Get it in writing first if you can.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL ten years? - UGGHHHH.  Pay it only if you think they might sue you for it - and get a WRITTEN promise of not re-aging it and placing it on your credit report.  

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.