Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection on Fico account after 7 year rule

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Collection on Fico account after 7 year rule

I have a credit card that was charged off in 2001. Can a collection agency post a collection on my FICO credit report, either Transunion or Equifax after the 7 year rule. This negative would have dropped off my credit report in 2008. 4 years ago. I am aware that the CA can still try to collect. I'm just wondering if they can ding my report. The CA in question has already pulled a hard inquiry without my approval which lowered my score 5 points.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Collection on Fico account after 7 year rule

@Slab wrote:

I have a credit card that was charged off in 2001. Can a collection agency post a collection on my FICO credit report, either Transunion or Equifax after the 7 year rule. This negative would have dropped off my credit report in 2008. 4 years ago. I am aware that the CA can still try to collect. I'm just wondering if they can ding my report.

Call the credit bureau and request a dispute.Tell them the debt is not yours because it expired over 4 years ago.That should take care of the matter in less than 30 days.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 2 of 13
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

P.S.  I've seen this happen on a few occasions were the collection agency attempt to collect on an out dated debt in hopes of taking advantage of a person that does not understand the laws related to old debt. Some collection agents/agencies are low lifes and will try to break the law

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 3 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You'll get better help with the Rebuilders thread. Is this a new item in your CR, or has it been there the whole time? Often your best course of action is NOT to dispute with CRAs. 

If its newly appearing on your CR, then you should DV the CA. If it has been there this whole time, then disputing might be your best course. But if it is an unscrupulous CA, then disputing wont help. Also, with the computerized disputing system, it may come back verified. 

You may need to file a complaint with BBB against the CA to get it off. I did that with a JDB, and they removed it without admitting any wrong-doing.

your action depends on the circumstances... When did this first appear on your CR? 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Only if it was re-aged somehow, which varies state by state.  You need to get the date of first delinquency off the reports to see what they are basing the reporting on.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 13
Slab
Frequent Contributor

A collection on my credit report has not appeared yet, just a hard inquiry. No, this item has not been on my credit report for over 4 years. I was just worried that since they did the hard inquiry that they might put it on my report as a collection. Very unscrupulous people.

Message 6 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Once the 7 year reporting period is over, the item cannot be put back on your credit report.  In order for that to happen it would have to be re-aged (changing the DoFD) and that is not allowed.  No body can change that date.

IMHO, I don't think they should even be able to do inquiries at all once the reporting period is over.  Especially a hard pull.

Message 7 of 13
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for the great information. You guys are tops.

Message 8 of 13
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Once the 7 year reporting period is over, the item cannot be put back on your credit report.  In order for that to happen it would have to be re-aged (changing the DoFD) and that is not allowed.  No body can change that date.

IMHO, I don't think they should even be able to do inquiries at all once the reporting period is over.  Especially a hard pull.

I suppose that if the debt was within state SOL they would have technical PP but most states don't have that long an SOL. If it;s outside of state SOL its just a crude form of intimidation. File a complaint with the CFPB.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 13
Jutz
Valued Contributor

It sounds pretty awful, but I do think its legal, based on diggin up a few articles based on that.  Here is a bullet point from an FCRA newsletter about a case like that:

• Statute of Limitations. The running of the statute of limitations does not extinguish a
debt; it merely renders the debt judicially unenforceable. Accordingly, the mere running
of the statute of limitations does not mean that the debt itself has been extinguished or
that a debt collector is precluded from using means, other than judicial means, to collect
the debt, including obtaining a consumer report under the FCRA.

http://www.strasburger.com/calendar/news/fcra/FCRA-newsletter-05April2010.htm

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.