Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection on my report...

tag
chucky1234
Contributor

Collection on my report...

I currently have a collection that reports every month. I owe $894 and can pay it off. The big question if I pay it off will it hurt my score or no? I am in the process of purchasing a home 9 months from now. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection on my report...

@chucky1234 wrote:

I currently have a collection that reports every month. I owe $894 and can pay it off. The big question if I pay it off will it hurt my score or no? I am in the process of purchasing a home 9 months from now. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Paying it off stops the monthly reporting and it can begin to age so your Fico score can begin to recover. I would first attempt the PFD.

Message 2 of 13
chucky1234
Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Paying it off stops the monthly reporting and it can begin to age so your Fico score can begin to recover. I would first attempt the PFD.

Thanks thats the plan will call tomorrow and request for PFD. I should get it in writing if they agree? Over the phone verbal agreement is not valid.

Message 3 of 13
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Some CA's will agree and follow through but won't put it in writing. YMMV.

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Before I heard of myFICO, age of credit, length of history, I had about 9 collections showing up on my report. I finally grew up and wanted to clean up my act, so I took care of them. Paid them all off and disputed for removal from the CRAs and the collection agencies. They all happily obliged and within 10-12 weeks, they all disappeared from my credit history. I didn't know what average age of credit means then. I didn't want any negatives showing on my report. Well, with those collections, I had an average age of credit of 4.5 yrs. After removal, I was ZERO. Didn't have any loans, credit card to offset that.I guess I could've just paid them off and let it age off and shouldn't have disputed for removal. Oh well. It is what it is.

Well, that was 2015. Building up slowly. My oldest account is 1 ryr 11 months. Newest is 1 month. An installment loan reporting from Home Depot Project Loan. AAoA is 8 months. At least for me, all that is reporting are positive credit.

Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@chucky1234 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Thanks thats the plan will call tomorrow and request for PFD. I should get it in writing if they agree? Over the phone verbal agreement is not valid.

As stated in post above some will not put in writing but agree verbally. Getting it in writing is gold standard but dont let that derail the negotiation, you can record the call if you wish. I dont know where this verbal agreement isnt valid comes from, it is valid especially if they are known for doing it.

Message 6 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Before I heard of myFICO, age of credit, length of history, I had about 9 collections showing up on my report. I finally grew up and wanted to clean up my act, so I took care of them. Paid them all off and disputed for removal from the CRAs and the collection agencies. They all happily obliged and within 10-12 weeks, they all disappeared from my credit history. I didn't know what average age of credit means then. I didn't want any negatives showing on my report. Well, with those collections, I had an average age of credit of 4.5 yrs. After removal, I was ZERO. Didn't have any loans, credit card to offset that.I guess I could've just paid them off and let it age off and shouldn't have disputed for removal. Oh well. It is what it is. 

Well, that was 2015. Building up slowly. My oldest account is 1 ryr 11 months. Newest is 1 month. An installment loan reporting from Home Depot Project Loan. AAoA is 8 months. At least for me, all that is reporting are positive credit.

Fico AAoA doesnt include CAs or PRs only OCs so your true AAoA was 0 anyway. Payment history is 35% of Fico pie, AAoA is 15%, history of something always trumps AAoA concerns.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

Fico AAoA doesnt include CAs or PRs only OCs so your true AAoA was 0 anyway. Payment history is 35% of Fico pie, AAoA is 15%, history of something always trumps AAoA concerns.

Good. I was convinced I made the wrong move by getting them removed. I feel better now. Yeah, I had nothing repoting on my name. But, thanks for clarifying that.

Message 8 of 13
chucky1234
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@chucky1234 wrote:

This is very good info, thanks! I think that will be my strategy since I have 9 months to go for the house hunting. I will pay them off and then dispute for deletion.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chucky1234 wrote:

chucky1234 Some folks in this forum have had good results from collection shield 360. Search in this forum to see and then look them up on the web.  If I were you I would see what they can do before sending a PFD.  BTW please tell me how you got your cards in your siggy.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.