cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection on rpt - CA not initially registered w/state - Violation?

tag
tiff
Regular Contributor

Collection on rpt - CA not initially registered w/state - Violation?

I have a collection that the CA refused to accept a written PFD.  They also sent the initial notification to an inaccurate address.

I need to try something else.  I have not paid yet, and want to try somthing else before debt validating them.  I'm trying to find a violation. 

Trying to find a violation, I checked their registration with Louisiana and found that they just registered with the state on February 18, 2009.  The collection was placed on my report in November 08.  This means that they were not registered with my state when the collection was placed on my report.

Is this a violation?  Please help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection on rpt - CA not initially registered w/state - Violation?

Maybe it's a violation, but does it matter? 

Sounds like a legitimate debt.  Best case, you could force them to delete the Nov 2008 entry.  So then they make a new collection entry now that they're registered.

No net benefit, and probably a bigger ding for a new collection.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection on rpt - CA not initially registered w/state - Violation?

It wouldn't be a violation of FCRA or FDCPA.

They were violating state laws, but are no longer. If you make a complaint with your AG or the licensing agency, chances are they will not do anything as the CA is now registered.

As mentioned, in the long run it wouldn't prevent them from reporting now.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.