cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection only appears on experian for months any chance it will show up on tu or eq?

tag
chevydude26
Contributor

Collection only appears on experian for months any chance it will show up on tu or eq?

I had an old debt that was 27 dollars from bmg music from like 6 years ago. I recieved a letter from national credit solutions today saying i owed 138 or something like that. I was aware of this unpaid collection being on my experian only because of truecredit.com showing it  from months ago....since i recieved this letter today does that mean they will begin to report it to equifax and transunion? I called them to see if they would do a pay for delete but they give me some spin about not legally allowing them to put in writing that they would delete the file once it was paid. I told them without that  i won't pay in full but will dispute it. My concern is the collection showing up on the other reports...since experian is my low score it isn't of immediate concern but i can't afford to have it show up on the other reports because i'm trying to get a mortgage by september.  They also said once i paid they would delete it after i disputed it but i think they were lying...they said they report only to experian and transunion but its not on my transunion report...please help

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection only appears on experian for months any chance it will show up on tu or eq?

Never believe what is said on the phone. Do not even bother to call a CA.

Check your state to see if a CA must be licensed or bonded in your state. If so are they? If they do not have a licensed then they can not legally report or collect.

EQ has some rules that must be followed. One of them is that a merchant card can NOT report on EQ. I do not know if they have anything to deal with CAs.

If they can report in your state then mail a DV  CMRRR. 

Message 2 of 6
chevydude26
Contributor

Re: Collection only appears on experian for months any chance it will show up on tu or eq?

If i may ask what is a dv? and the other abbreviations? and how would I go about checking to see if they are licensed in my state. Also this was one of those buy 6 cds's for the price of one deal that was made in 2003 how can they know if it was truly me if my ssn was never asked for...just my name and address which anybody could get from say a phonebook. And will it appear on my tu report if it wasn't there before?

thank you for your response i appreciate it

Message 3 of 6
chevydude26
Contributor

I don't believe a license is required in nj per this forum

edited

Message Edited by llecs on 07-17-2009 09:48 PM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You said this is approximately 6 years old.  You need to determine the exact dates, because looks like in New Jersey you have a 6 year period statue of limitations (across the board).

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/state-statutes-of-limitations-for-old-debts-2.aspx

So basically if the debit is greater than 6 years old, they can pound sand!  Remember, at year 7 it comes off anyhow, so we may be only talking a few months.

Secondly, you mentioned 2 different amounts.  While both were relatively small, they were about $100 difference.  That's a no-no according to the FTC.  

Debt collectors may not:

• Collect any amount greater than your debt, unless your state law permits such a charge.
  • Deposit a postdated check prematurely.
  • Use deception to make you accept collect calls or pay for telegrams.
  • Take or threaten to take your property unless this can be done legally.
Source: Fair Debt Collection, a brochure for consumers from the Federal Trade Commission

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20030519b1.asp

Message 5 of 6
chevydude26
Contributor

I was a dumb idiot in college who signed up for bmg's service not realizing i had to buy another cd from them. The original amount  says 27 but i guess with the interest over the years it may have grown. i can't remember the exact date i did this but i'm certain the debt was bought by other companies over the years but it could have been as early as 2002 and as late as 2004 but i believe it was in 2003...i will do the dv cmmr once i realize exactly how to do the cmmr part. I believe if they don't respond within 30 days i can use this as evidence to dispute and they have to remove it i believe.

I just hope it doesn't show up on my transunion as its only showing up on my experian as of right now, i'm afraid the letter coming in is a sign its going to show up on my transunion which as of right now is my middle score is 622 and right at the point where i can qualify for a mortgage by september...

God's blessings to all of you who can help me 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.