Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection + overall improvement help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection + overall improvement help

Hello,

I've recently been super into trying to improve my score lately and have done pretty good so far. I currently have 2 credit cards (Cap1 Journey w/600$ limit, and Amex everyday with a 2k$ limit), and an auto loan with Santander (Roadloans). I started off with around a 550 credit score about 6 months ago. I have 1 collection for 110$, and I had 2 late payments with Cap1. Since I started to make improvements, I have gotten my 2 lates removed and I have reduced my credit utilization from 98% to just under 70% and continue to lower this as much as possible. As it sits now, my score is ~640.

The collection is something I want to get off, as well as lowering my utilization. I saw tons of success stories on here about using the 'direct dispute' feature on creditkarma. So about a week and a half ago I sent one of those in. It's still pending. Dependant on the results of that, I'm willing just to do a pay for delete because thankfully its not a large amount. Should I wait until this direct dispute gives me an answer or should I just get with the agency and work something out?

And other than paying down my cc debt and trying to get this collection off, is there anything anyone would recommend doing to improve my score? I've thought about additional credit cards, but I feel like maybe I should wait on that.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection + overall improvement help

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I've recently been super into trying to improve my score lately and have done pretty good so far. I currently have 2 credit cards (Cap1 Journey w/600$ limit, and Amex everyday with a 2k$ limit), and an auto loan with Santander (Roadloans). I started off with around a 550 credit score about 6 months ago. I have 1 collection for 110$, and I had 2 late payments with Cap1. Since I started to make improvements, I have gotten my 2 lates removed and I have reduced my credit utilization from 98% to just under 70% and continue to lower this as much as possible. As it sits now, my score is ~640.

The collection is something I want to get off, as well as lowering my utilization. I saw tons of success stories on here about using the 'direct dispute' feature on creditkarma. So about a week and a half ago I sent one of those in. It's still pending. Dependant on the results of that, I'm willing just to do a pay for delete because thankfully its not a large amount. Should I wait until this direct dispute gives me an answer or should I just get with the agency and work something out?

And other than paying down my cc debt and trying to get this collection off, is there anything anyone would recommend doing to improve my score? I've thought about additional credit cards, but I feel like maybe I should wait on that.

Thanks

Just keep doing what you are doing. A third card would help, as long as you only let on card report a balance.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I let the direct dispute take its course or should I contact the agency directly while the dispute is still under investigation to confirm the debt and if they still wont take it off try to do a pay for delete?

I would like to refinance my auto loan and hopefully grab another card, I would assume it would help greatly if I sorted this collection out prior to doing so?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I let the direct dispute take its course or should I contact the agency directly while the dispute is still under investigation to confirm the debt and if they still wont take it off try to do a pay for delete?

I would like to refinance my auto loan and hopefully grab another card, I would assume it would help greatly if I sorted this collection out prior to doing so?

Thanks!

I would let the dispute close and then move from there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.