cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection paid reported on 2 updated 3 and new date?

tag
llsnmerriman
Valued Member

Collection paid reported on 2 updated 3 and new date?

Hi, I am new to the website & ecstatic to find it!  Recently I have paid all collections on my report, trying to get everything in order & take responsibility.  So, my question is; I was checking my credit report this morning.  I had paid a collection in Feb/early Mar.  They were reporting on 2 out of 3 of my reports.  It was a $295. collection opened in 2007.  So, this morning I noticed they have updated info paid but also added the info to Experian which was never on there with an open date of 2/2010?!?!?!  the date on the other 2 has stayed 2007.  Is this allowed?  That 2010 date will set me back since it is so current.  Any advice is very much appreciated.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection paid reported on 2 updated 3 and new date?

Do you have DoFD available?

And I'd send GW to all collections on my report if I were you. Smiley Happy 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
llsnmerriman
Valued Member

I will search my records but I do know the date opened on the other 2 reports were 6/2007.  So this new update will set me back 3 yrs?  Can I dispute that?

Message 3 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

It probably dropped your score with that CRA because it looks new, but it should drop from all three reports at the same time, since that's based on the date of first delinquency.  TU & EX both list "scheduled to continue until" on their reports while EQ lists DoFD.  (But only on the reports from the CRAs directly)

Message 4 of 7
llsnmerriman
Valued Member

But since the account open date is inaccurate by 3 yrs on Experian in comparison to the other 2 reports, can't I dispute that information?

Message 5 of 7
mauve
Valued Contributor

Account open doesn't really mean anything, I don't think.  I guess if you had proof that the date opened was different (and citing other CRAs doesn't count, I think), that would help.

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If a CA reports the "date opened", then that's the date the baddie first went to collections. The open date the CA reports will always be later than the open date that the OC would ever report. That date has no bearing on your score or the way lenders see you. The one date you have to make sure is correct is the DOFD.

ETA...ditto to the GW letter suggestion. It doesn't matter if you owe $0 or $10,000, the damage to your FICO score is equal. Paying a CA will never help your score. The only way to help it is to get it off.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.