Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection placed on Experian?! WHAT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection placed on Experian?! WHAT?

I'm freaking out right now... I got an update from Scorewatch about a change on Experian and it's a collection account from COMMONWEALTH FINANCIAL SYSTEMS. I don't know who this is. I don't have any debts or ever had any bills in my name. I'm 22 and live with my family... I have no idea what this could be...

Could someone please tell me where I should start disputing this? My EX score dropped 82 points from this and I just got 3 new cards this month that are at risk of closure right now Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection placed on Experian?! WHAT?

Tried starting a dispute online with Experian and it wouldn't let me have a free credit report without going through mail (as usual). Then I bought a report (which they had no problem providing after I paid) and tried to dispute and got this:

"We are unable to allow access to our online dispute service. We understand that the privacy and security of your information is important to you; therefore, we cannot provide a specific reason as to why we cannot allow access. Our registration process is designed to ensure that your credit information is released only to you. You must have a current copy of your personal credit report from Experian in order to dispute information. Please call 1 800 204 1410 to order your report through our automated service. The report will be delivered by U.S. Mail. Once you receive the report, follow the instructions to dispute information you believe is incorrect."

Ugh... Not sure where to go next. Should I contact the collection agency? Or should I start going through Experian's process by calling the automated line? So freaking worried right now... I want to resolve this as soon as possible because I really don't want to lose my new cards and have my credit ruined over some debt that isn't even mine. If I go through Experian's process it could take a while and by then my CCC's could SP me and see the collection and shut my cards down. *sigh*

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd contact the Collection Agency and see if they can tell you who the original bill was from and go from there.  Then i'd call Experian and do a dispute and see what they say.  

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the original creditor info from a report I bought from Credit Sesame (thanks Experian for not providing this info in the report I bought from you, you guys rock) and it's from a local hospital. I've only been there once 4 years ago and paid in full, not sure what this is about, guessing an error? I'm going to call them and ask about this.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your problem is part of the reason for dunning notice.

They are required to send a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5 days after reporting to a CRA.

In additon ot advising of validation rights, it requires identification of at least the current owner.

They may be simply trolling for a quick pay from anyone, and thus ignoring dunning notice requirement.

I would begin by filing a complaint with the CFPB.

You can also send a DV, placing a cease collection bar on them until they provide debt validation.  In your DV, be sure to specifically requst the name of the OC.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been calling the OC (hospital) and been given the run around. The main hospital line told me to call their 'off-site billing department' which I did and they had no record of me owing anything. They then gave me the number for the hospitals internal billing department, which goes to voice mail every time, so I left a message and I'm awaiting a reply.

Then I went down to the hospital in person and asked if I could speak to someone about it and was told that the man I need to talk to wasn't in today and I should try coming back Monday. Ugh, just a complete run around...

So I should be expecting a dunning notice? Never heard of that before. So it'll have identifiying info on me if this is legit? And they can just ignore the dunning notice and not provide me with info linking this debt to me? Sorry I'm really unfamiliar with dunning notices.

I was thinking of contacting the CA to ask about this but I've heard that can't really accomplish anything. Is this true?

How should I go about filing a complaint with the CFPB? Online? What should I say in the complaint?

I'll look up how to properly send a DV letter. Should I still request the name of the OC even though I know now?

Also, should I move forward with disputing with Experian? How should I do that? I've heard disputing over the phone and online (don't think I'm able to go the online route because it's not working) aree innefective and mail is the best option. I'd really like to avoid the mail option and try the phone route but if mail's best I'll do it.

Thank you all for the help. I'm trying to wrap my head around this and it's got me unbelieveably stressed out. Totally ruining Halloween Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 9
Stylez
Valued Member

I've had two collections and a charge off on my Experian report that weren't mine. If the debt really doesn't belong to you, you can call Experian and they'll take it right off. If the debt is under your name and social security number, you'll have to work with the original creditor.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to dispute via mail just send them a generic dispute form. It only  took them 3 days to remove something from my file.

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt valildation (DV) request need only state

"This is a request for debt validation under FDCPA 809(b).

In addition ot verification of the debt, I also request the name of the original creditor."

As long as it is sent to the debt collector either prior to a dunning notice, or within 30 days after receipt of a dunning notice, it iimposes an automatice cease collection bar on the debt collector, which remains in effect until they provide both verificatin of the debt and the name of the original creditor.

All you need is an address, and you can send it immediately without any need for a dunning notice.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.