Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection question

I've been trying to resolve a collection account for the past several months.  After reading here, I decided it would be best to work with the OC.  I called them, and they told me they could accept payment over the phone, and would recall the debt from the CA.  I asked for a letter in writing stating this, which they said they would look into.  Didn't get a letter - and called today, and the OC now says they can't take payment since the account was written off and I have to deal with the CA.

I just called the CA to ask for PFD, and they say they don't do that.  Only will take payment and update credit report to show "paid collection."  My understanding is that this is just as bad as a collection.

I'm not sure exactly how to determine DOFD and DOLA from my reports.  On EX it says date opened 9/2005, reported since 11/05, date of status 12/05. last reported 5/09.  Original amount $261, balance with fees/interest $386.  Also says will drop 11/11.

Advice?  This is my only baddie, last time I checked scores I was around 675.  Wondering if paying this would do anything to scores?  I'm sure it's hard to say with only this info.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection question

DOLA really doesn't matter per se. DOFD is listed on your EQ report if you pull that CR directly from the CRA. DOFD can be calculated by subtracting 7 years from the drop off date which is 11/2004, using your example.

Paying this CA will not help your scores.

Never call a CA.

I'd start sending PFD after PFD after PFD first. But before that, be sure you send a DV.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have DVed twice with the CRAs.  The first time, it was updated to "No status" (whatever that means) and the balance was gone from my reports.  I wasn't satisfied since I wanted it deleted, so I DVed again when it suddenly showed up on a second report.  Thats when they updated back to "Unpaid collection" and the balance showed up plus interest.  It is a utility account that ended up billing for service after I moved out, so by my calcuations I only owe about 1/2 what they say I do (before interest.)   A valid DV IMO, but they won't seem to adjust or wiggle.  I can afford to PIF, but only wanted to do so to make it go away and disappear from my reports.  Since that doesn't seem to be in the cards any longer, I don't want to reset the date of last activity.   

-- 

Editing to add:  I should have known better than to call a CA, hopefully I haven't awakened a sleeping giant.

Message Edited by Seattle8 on 09-17-2009 09:51 PM
Message Edited by Seattle8 on 09-17-2009 09:56 PM
Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you have no plans of contesting it, then continue to PFD.

If you disagree with the balance, then get in touch with the OC and ask for copies of your last couple of bills and reconcile that way. Did the CA ever mail anything to you in response to the DV?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I have been away from the boards for a while, so that's why it's taken me so long to respond.

Still have had no luck with this.  CA has not sent anything in the mail, even when I disputed.  My only communication w/them was a phone call I made when they told me it's against their policy to do PFD.

Since this is so old, it probably isn't hurting my scores that much.  It shows on EQ and EX only.  I don't have current FICOs but my FAKOs or whatever you want to call them are: EX 746, EQ 712, TU 737.

Just irks me to see the only baddie on my reports.  I think I may have to live with it until it falls off on it's own. 

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back!

If you still want to tackle this, send a DV letter. DV letters only go to the collection agency (CA) and not to the credit reporting agencies (CRAs). If you sent a DV to the CRA, as I read in your prior post, then the CA won't send you anything. DVs go to CAs.

If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD to the CA. Be thankful they told you that it was against their policy. Never call a CA to get a PFD. Always do it in writing. CAs just might forget the agreement and keep the money and not delete, as they sometimes do. But if they respond back to the PFD per the terms of your letter, then they'll delete. Never let them tell you "No". After you mail the DV letter and they verify, then mail a PFD anyway.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I had disputed with CRAs online and by phone previously since I was hesitant to contact CA.  I'll try the DV and PFD route in writing to the CA.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.