Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection questions please advise

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection questions please advise

Hello everyone,

i was was recently reviewing my credit report and see that I have an account that was opened by CO in 2011, as well as a collection (Cavalry portfolio services)  for this account that posted from 2013 in the amount of 750. My first questions is that up until recently I have never opened a CO account. Doing some research my wife had one and supposinly I was added as a AU, even though I never had requested.  Should I dispute this via the CRA for validation of debt.? If so what are the possible. What've impacts of this? Or what else should I do?

My only other collection is held by pinnacle credit services for an old Verizon account that originally defaulted back in 2011, for 758 dollars.  They have it reporting on my credit report as opened in 4/2014, which is not the original default date, as mentioned being 2011. From what I read they don't do a DFP and are hard to work with. Can I dispute this with my CRAs as the dates are incorrect? What else would you recommend? I am trying to really boost my credit score, my scores are in my sig.

also do I need to worry about any of this resetting the SOL, I'm in NH which is 3 years from my research.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection questions please advise

You should contact the creditor and have them remove you as an authorized user if you dont want the account reporting to your credit file.

Otherwise, it is proper.

As for misreporting of the collection, the Open date for a collection is separate and apart from the account with the creditor.

A debt collector can report the date they obtained their collection authority, either by assignment from the owner or by their purchase of the debt, as the Open date of their collection.

Message 2 of 6
Callandra
Valued Contributor

You can also check out the Rebuilding Forum here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/bd-p/rebuildingcredit

If you were an AU (authorized user), you can get that removed from your report (do as RobertEG suggests) as you have no legal obligation to pay it back. However, if you were a joint account holder, you are liable. 

Does the DoFD (Date of first deliquency) show for the collection? It is 7 years plus 180 days from the DoFD for the collection to fall off. Nothing can change the DoFD. The "wrong" date might just be referring to the date the CA got authority of the collection. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll have to look into if it was a joint account or if it was a AU, since it's in collections not quite sure how to go about that maybe I'll contact the OC?

the Verizon collection only lists the open date for which the collection first started reporting which is 04/2014. From looking back at the original date of default with Verizon it was from 2011. So I am concerned as to me it is appearing as adore recent collection when it really is from 2011. Can I dispute this? And will it have any lesser of an impact should it show from 2011?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new here and not sure if I am suppose to open up a new post or something but I also have a question about this  Pinnacle Credit Service. I have NEVER had a Verizon account and yet somehow I have a charge of $482. I have NEVER received a bill either. I call Verizon trying to figure out what was going on and they told me they could not help me and that I had to contact the customer services which then told me they could not help either and that it was up to me to call  Pinnacle. I have made call to them and left messages and posted a fraud alert on my account as I believe this to be the issue. I have reported to all 3 Credit reporting agencies that I think someone might have stole my identity or they possibly have me mixed up with someone else. Besides that it still is on there and making my credit drop way down. I have never had a contract phone and I would like this to go off my credit score. I do not know what else to do. Can someone please point me in the right direction? 

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA was amended do include a process that enables consumers to have information blocked from their credit report that they certifiy was never authorized by them, and thus are the likely result of someone else having used their identity.

The consumer must, to initiate such a block, file a police report, thus providing a statment under criminal penalty for knowingly false statements, that they never authorized the account or transactions at issue.  For details, see FCRA 605B and the sticky post under General Creidt Topics within this forum.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.