Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection questions

tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

Collection questions

So my gf has a collection on her account from ATT. I want pay it as soon as we can. Does it really make a difference in how soon we pay it though?

Also what are the chances that this could be deleted? From what I'm reading it seems like getting collections deleted isn't all that hard. She wants to buy a house soon and I know how this collection will hurt.

I can get info about what agency is and anything y'all need to know more about the situation.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Trons
New Contributor

Re: Collection questions

Well, I'm fairly new here, but from what I've read, and maybe somebody will correct me, but a CA report doesn't get "worse" over time, nor does it get better once it is paid.  Once it's gone to a CA, it's at a CA and time stands still (rush fan, leave me a lone).  Your/her best bet to try for a PFD.  If you're willing to pay it, and it'll need to be paid before the mortgage is written, then try to get them to delete it upon receipt of payment.  There has been a fair amount of success on this board, from what I've read, about PFD's.

Good luck

Starting: EQ 590 (LP 8/12) TU 589 (LP 8/12) EX 612 (LP 8/12)
Current: EQ 650(LP 9/12/12) TU 667 (LP 9/12/12) EX 676 (LP 9/12/12)
Goal: 620 (for VA Mortgage)
Goal Reached. Pre-qualified for VA loan, 9/12/12

My Jeep is like my wife. Cleans up nice, but a lot more fun when she's dirty.
Message 2 of 5
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Definitely try and PFD it! Even one small collection makes a HUGE difference in her scores.

You still have leverage with the CA because it is unpaid. Do not pay it unless they agree to delete it. You may have to try several times before it is successful.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

PFD is the way to go here. It may take you a few times but it's worth the effort to try.
Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
squirrely2005
Contributor

Yeah from what I've read a paid collection is basically no different than an unpaid. So is PFD just basically paying for the balance and then having them delete. I know I'd have to get them to agree to delete it before I pay but is it something that happens pretty often?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.