Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection "report date" question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection "report date" question.

I was looking over some of my collection accounts on my credit report. I noticed that a specific CA hasn't reported several accounts(from a hospital) since 2012. What would cause them to not report it for so long? Is this grounds for a dispute? I have read trying to propose a DVL would amount to nothing, especially with the accounts being 4 or 5 years old. A little insight would be helpful! Thank you!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection "report date" question.

Unless you are in the position to be able to pay it I'd personally leave it alone. If you dispute it it might get updated and look like it's a new collection dropping your scores.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was looking over some of my collection accounts on my credit report. I noticed that a specific CA hasn't reported several accounts(from a hospital) since 2012. What would cause them to not report it for so long? Is this grounds for a dispute? I have read trying to propose a DVL would amount to nothing, especially with the accounts being 4 or 5 years old. A little insight would be helpful! Thank you!

Often CA's will simply report once and let it sit there. The reason is that it costs them money to place an item on your reports, and to update items. Not a reason for dispute.

Disputing it, or even offering a PFD may result in it being updated.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying. What I don't understand is how a collection that is 4 or 5 years old can be reported as new? I did receive an alert that my newest collection is 2 months old(none that I mentioned in my orignal post) and all my collections are from 2012. Thanks for chiming in!
Message 4 of 10
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Has the date updated changed? That's the only way FICO sees it as new.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh. A new collection was posted for a hospital bill... 11k!! Wowza!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ahhh. A new collection was posted for a hospital bill... 11k!! Wowza!
Google the HIPAA Letter Process follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions PM me.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tel12, the HIPPA letter looks to be for debt that isn't valid. I'm assuming mine is. I cannot use that if the debt is mine, correct?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Tel12, the HIPPA letter looks to be for debt that isn't valid. I'm assuming mine is. I cannot use that if the debt is mine, correct?
Sorry for the delay in responding yes you can use it if you have additional questions PM me.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tel, I have researched the WhyChat method since I last posted and am already in the process of my intial dispute! Thanks so much Smiley Happy 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.