Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection removal and effect on credit score

tag
satyasaich
New Visitor

Collection removal and effect on credit score

I have a collection on my CR for $88 for a  medical bill for which insurance company actually paid to the hospital, (but there was a delay). AND i obtained a letter from hospital showing that there is a zero balance. 

Can i send that letter to collection agency and have them remove the collection item from CR?

or should i ask the hospital to actually talk to collection agency ?? 

what is the best action i should take and since this is from 2017, how much impact i will have on the credit score?

Thanks in advnace

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection removal and effect on credit score

You can always dispute it with the CRA, and tell them and use the hospital letter as proof. Or, you can send a DV letter to the CA by Certitfied mail. If they can’t prove that’s it’s yours, then they should delete it..

Don’t call the CA, just try to send a DV letter to them.. go that way first to have them look into the account.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection removal and effect on credit score

Under the new CRA policy statement, as set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan, if a medical debt is paid via an insuror, the CRA will remove the collection from your credit report with no involvement of the debt collector.

Send your proof of payment by insuror to the CRA and request removal of the collection under their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

No need to obtain any involvement or approval of the medical provider or the debt collector.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.