cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection reporting huge monthly payment - can I dispute?

tag
Rinehart
New Visitor

Collection reporting huge monthly payment - can I dispute?

Backstory--My new wife has a collection account (Calvary Portfolio Services) for a charged off Bank of America debt.  The collection company is reporting a balance of $14,086, a monthly payment of $8130, and luckily she is past the statue of limitations.  I am applying for a home mortgage.  My credit is fine to qualify, but the mortgage loan officer is telling me that they will probably have to take into account her debts with my loan.  He is asking me to do "something" about the monthly payment amount showing on credit.  

My questions-- how can I get this payment reporting lower?  Can I dispute the monthly payment with the credit bureau for a monthly payment that has never been made?  Do I have to contact Calvary Portfolio Services?  The loan officer that I'm talking with has told me to enter into a payment agreement with Calvary Portfolio Services and make payments only long enough for the mortgage loan to process.  I of course don't want to do this.  I'm afraid it will reset the statue of limitations.  Likewise I'm not a big fan of paying off her huge collection from her divorce.  How is it fair for the collection company to report this huge monthly payment?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collection reporting huge monthly payment - can I dispute?

Welcome to the forums.

A CA cannot report a monthly payment.  Without seeing how it is reporting, I would guess they are reporting the OC TL.  Only the OC reports payments due.

What state are you in?  If you enter into a payment plan then default you could restart the suing SOL.

How old is the debt?

Is this report from your lender or is it one you pulled?

Message 2 of 15
Rinehart
New Visitor

The collection agency is reporting the following:

CALVALRY PORTFOLIO RECOVERY, Reported 5/13, Last Activity is blank, Opened 2/12, High Credit $8130, Past Due $14,086, Payment 1M $8130E, Balance $14,086

The original creditor is reporting as follows:

BK OF AMER, Reported 2/12, Last Activity 09/09, Opened 06/08, Limit $6,600, 90+ 02/12, Past Due $0, Monthly Payment is Blank, Balance is $0, Notes - Purchased by Another Lender

We are in Texas.  

The debt has been over 120 days late for longer than we have been dating / married and that makes the debt at least 4 years old.  EDIT: While I'm looking at this this credit report.  I'm now thinking that the SOL might not expire until after September of this year.

The report is from the lender's credit pull.

Message 3 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Is the CA reporting monthly payments?  You aren't making these payments and they are reporting as such?  This is a No No.  You say it's past the SOL, what's the DOFD of the account?

Also, in regards to your mortgage lender, is your wife going to be on the loan too?  Are you in a community property state?  If the answer to these are no, then her CR has nothing to do with your loan.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 15
Rinehart
New Visitor

Yes, the collection agency is reporting monthly payments.

I've been assuming that we are past the SOL based on my conversations with my wife.  Now I'm wondering if we might still have a few months.  I don't know when the DOFD is.

We are a community property state.

Message 5 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You need to pull an accurate report to find out.  Have you pulled from annualcreditreport.com?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Even if the loan will be in your name only, it is not uncommon for the lender to want to consider the spouses debt also.  It happens frequently.

Message 7 of 15
Rinehart
New Visitor

No, we haven't pulled one this year. Do I need to pull from all three or a particular CB?

Message 8 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would get the free ones now.  They are more accurate and detailed and may not show that.

Message 9 of 15
Rinehart
New Visitor

I pulled the annual credit reports (well two of the three....Transunion is mailing because we messed up a identity question).  

Experian reports the Bank of America tradeline as 120 late in Nov of 2009.  The collection does not show a payment amount on Experian.  

Equifax likewise reports the Bank of America as 120 late in Nov of 2009.  

I don't have the Transunion report.  I will break down buy one right now if you guys need to see what is on it.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.