cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection showed up without dunning letter? Can I DV?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection showed up without dunning letter? Can I DV?

In July 2009, a collection showed up on my TU report. Not recognizing the creditor (I believe it is a local city) nor the amount, I disputed. The item was removed from my CR. My score jumped back to 715 from 660. I pulled another TU this last weekend and see that the Collection showed up again.

The CA is AllianceOne. The creditor is listed as "04' Everett". I take that to mean the city of Everett in 2004. In any case, I never received a notice of the supposed debt/fee/fine/ticket or what have ya. Can I still DV with the CA and use this recent report as my 30 day notice? I'd let it sit for SOL but since the collection just showed up, it's saying it won't fall off until 2016. 

The amount placed for collections is/was $60. I'd pay for deletion just to avoid the hassle, but accessed the account(by only providing the account #) through the CA's website and see that they want $600.

Since AllianceOne deals primarily with government fines/fees/tickets, I have a sinking feeling that this collection is linked to a car I sold in 2002. I signed the title over, but wasn't savvy enough to make sure the buyer did their part by seeing the DMV.  Smiley Sad

That really hurts since i've worked hard to bring my score up from the low 550's. I'm sure it's too late to do anything since it's already property of the CA. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection showed up without dunning letter? Can I DV?

If it's saying it won't fall off until 2016...... minus 7 years...............That means it went into collections in 2009.

Dont know what 04 everett means 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Any collection account may only be included in your CR for 7 1/2 years from the DOFD on the OC account.

FCRA 605(c).

If it is linked to an account that you divorced yourself from back in 2002, then the DOFD on that OC account was probably muuch earlier.

If that DOFD with the OC was more than 7 1/2 years ago, it must be gone from your CR. 

Establish your DOFD with the OC.  It does not matter what any CA reports after that date certain.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reponses. LIGHTNIN - you are correct, but this collection should be associated with a car I sold in 2002. I ran a partial vehicle history and find it transferred title in december of 2004. This means the ticket had to of occurred between 02 and 04. A DOFD would be 30 days following the ticket issued.

I am almost certain it is due to a parking ticket and I will find out for sure with a DV (and/or Motor Vehicle History Report of the sold vehicle). After some googling, I found a Seattle Times article discussing WA state government entities beginning to reinstate tickets previously uncollectable and hiring AllianceOne to do so. 

In any case, I'll move forward with a DV and MVH report and take it from there. 

Although I'm very doubtful that the city will have record of the 2004 ticket associated with the sold vehicle.  We'll see what happens. 

Message Edited by clarrkkent on 01-13-2010 09:37 PM
Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

clarrkent,

I noticed your post was from 3days ago, and read your post very fast just before dinner. Wanted to give you a bump up the list.

From what I have read, tickets are a different then CA to get removed from your CR.

Good luck to you. Keep us updated. bye 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.