Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection

tag
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Collection

my father has a collection reporting on EQ it reported on SEPTEMBER 2007 so its been 5 years it's unpaid. So my question is will it eventually drop? Ive heard that it takes about 7 years? Is that true even if its an un-paid collection. Also I heard that if you decide to pay it that the 7 years will start all over as if it were a fresh collection. I suppose he should just leave it how it is correct?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collection

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

my father has a collection reporting on EQ it reported on SEPTEMBER 2007 so its been 5 years it's unpaid. So my question is will it eventually drop? Ive heard that it takes about 7 years? Is that true even if its an un-paid collection. Also I heard that if you decide to pay it that the 7 years will start all over as if it were a fresh collection. I suppose he should just leave it how it is correct?

It will drop around the 7-7.5 year mark from the DOFD of the debt. DOFD is the date he first went late and never recovered. You can find DOFd if you pull the report directly from Equifax or annualcreditreport. EX and TU will list a drop off date estimate.

Whether paid or unpaid, nothing can legally make it report longer than the 7-7.5 years. Paying it will never reset the 7-7.5 yr CRTP clock. It'll drop off at the 7-7.5 yr clock no matter what he does.

Paying part of it can reset SOL (YMMV on your state's laws), but that has nothing to do with reporting. SOL is the time frame a creditor has to sue.

If I had it, I'd take steps to get rid of it. If a CA, have him send a DV. If they verify and he agrees, then have him send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete. A debt would be satisfied and disappear 2 yrs earlier.

Message 2 of 11
Jutz
Valued Contributor

• 7 Years is the time it takes to drop off a credit report.  This is 7 years from the "Date of First Delinquency".  This is the only date of consequence for a collection account
  • The statute of limitations, ie the period during which you can be sued for your debt varies based upon the state you live.
  • Until the status of the collection is "Paid" the debt never actually goes away.  This is money still owed, however it may be past the time you can be sued and even past the time it can be reported on your credit report
  • In this case, if the debt is paid, the clock will not restart from the original 7 years.  However the DOFD is tricky in certain situations.
  • Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

so unles its un-paid it will never get removed?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 4 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

so unles its un-paid it will never get removed?

It doesn't matter if it is paid or unpaid. It has to delete 7 to 7.5 yrs from DOFD.

Message 5 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Date of 1 st Delinquency:

05/2007  

^^This is how it appears on his credit report under EQ so it should almost be removed right?

Message 6 of 11
beb86
Valued Contributor

05/2007  

^^This is how it appears on his credit report under EQ so it should almost be removed right?

It should fall off sometime between 05/2014 and 11/2014. So around 2 years at the latest.

Message 7 of 11
sharpie
Regular Contributor

It will get removed somewhere between May 2014 and November 2014.  

05/2007  

Message 8 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

sounds legit! Thank you ALL very much I appreciate all your help and information provided to me!

Message 9 of 11
Jutz
Valued Contributor

If he needs credit in the next couple of years, it may be worth trying for a PFD, it's more than likely past SOL so they're probably likely willing to deal.  It would be important to not accept that the debt is his/yours since that can reset the SOL in some states, but otherwise it's pretty smooth.  Worst case they say no and they continue to try and collect.  Obviously check the SOL in your state on that type of collection first, and depending on the balance maybe it's best to just let it rot for another 2 years.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.