Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection

tag
vladrad
Contributor

Collection

I have a friend who just got collection on his file. 

I advised him to take 'credit report' from https://www.annualcreditreport.com and there was collection information against him on Experian. 

There is $130 past due reported in January 2014.

Way back in 2011 he used medical service and he payed for it. Now it looks like these $130 were a part of the total amount he was supposed to pay buit he didin't. Well he said that he didin't know he needs to pay any additional amount, because he payed the service in full at that time. Medical office never called him, never informed him in any way that he owes. In the meantime he changed the address. They may have sent some letters but he is not aware of such. He is upset because $130 is not a significant amount of money but seems like he got a collection for it.

Now he contacted the medical office and asked them to send him an Invoice and other information about the debt. They did so, but the Invoice with his signature on it was inaccurate. 

I am still strongly advising him to pay the debt and close this out.

Questions:

- What else can he do about the collection on his report?

- Should he dispute the collection?

- Any other advice?

Also he found a finance expert who adviced him not to pay debt regardles who is right?! What do you think about that?

Thank You!

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Donnovan
New Visitor

Re: Collection

Call collections agency and explain them about your situation and also pay off debt.
Message 2 of 3
babychick02

Re: Collection

There are often additional charges associated with a medical office visit ie: labs or xray interpretation fees. I would recommend a DV letter to the collection agency, and if the debt is verified, them make arrangements to pay with the CA with the WRITTEN agreement that the account be removed from his credit report. This debt can also be disputed with the CRA and submit documentation of payment made at the time of the office visit. All parties have 30 days to validate the debt. If the debt cannot be validated then it must be removed by law. Best of luck.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.