Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection?

tag
Muff
Regular Contributor

Collection?

I'm cleaning up my husbands credit to move towards buying a new home. We had an auto loan from crescent bank in 2011-2012 long story short the car needed a new motor in less than a year because it was a piece of junk that a salesman tricked us into buying. Lesson learned.  The loan amount is on his report, not listed as a collection because it's still with crescent I plan to settle it next month for around $4k. But how is it being listed on his credit report? I'm basically asking how is it classified since it's not a collection?  Just a charge off? 

EQ 618
TU 627
EX ?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection?

@Muff wrote:

I'm cleaning up my husbands credit to move towards buying a new home. We had an auto loan from crescent bank in 2011-2012 long story short the car needed a new motor in less than a year because it was a piece of junk that a salesman tricked us into buying. Lesson learned.  The loan amount is on his report, not listed as a collection because it's still with crescent I plan to settle it next month for around $4k. But how is it being listed on his credit report? I'm basically asking how is it classified since it's not a collection?  Just a charge off? 

Have you pulled his reports to see how its being reported? Go to annualcreditreport.com to pull his full, free reports once a year.

Message 2 of 4
Muff
Regular Contributor

Ok

EQ 618
TU 627
EX ?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Muff wrote:

Ok

In terms of FICO scoring, both Charge Offs, and Collections are considered "major derogatories". If a charge off is not settled, it will eventially get reported as a separate collection, and then possibly a judgement as well, making three major derogs from one bad account. Good idea to get it settled ASAP.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.