Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Advice *Update*

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections Advice *Update*

I just got a call from a collection agency, Southwest Credit Systems, who was calling about an old TMobile account.  The guy was giving me information about the account.  For starters, he gave me the incorrect date of birth.  They have my date of birth and not my husbands.  Another problem is the dates.  He has the date opened as 01/29/2011 but is trying to say that the account was placed in collections in 2013.  That is incorrect.  That service should have ended when my husband deployed in May 2011.  I believe I called and spoke with someone about the SCRA and took his orders to someone.  It's been so long ago and our last military move resulted in a box of documents that never made it to our final destination. Only the CA is reporting and not Tmobile.   Advice?  

Update:

I never received the call back from T-Mobile regarding the records.  They must not have been able to obtain them from the CA and they were no longer in their own system.   The collection was removed from his reports yesterday.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Advice

Wait until they send you something in writing, then send a debt validation request letter.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can request a DV at any time.

In that DV request, be sure to request verification, an itemixation of the debt, and the name of the ortignal creditor.

As long as you have an address, you can send a DV without waiting for dunning notice.

Their call to you was an initial communication with the consumer.

That call thus triggered their requirment to send you a formal collection notice (called a "dunning notice") within 5 days after that communication.  See FDCPA 809(a).

If you dont have an address, their dunning notice should be hitting your mailbox soon, and will provide their address.

Make sure to send your DV request no later than 30 days from the date of their dunning notice.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was digging through old mail last week and I found a letter from them dated Dec 10, 2015.  This was before we even started looking into cleaning up his credit and unfortunately this letter didn't get opened until last week.  Am I out of luck now or is there something else I need to do?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the entry from his credit report.  The main problem is the date of 1st delinquency.  They have it listed as 12/2013.  That's just not possible.  This account was cut off in 2011.  Sometime during my husband's deployment which is what should have happened.  It looks like from old emails with my husband the service was turned off early June 2011.  Besides I'm pretty sure a company isn't going have a service still going for over 2 years with no payments.  Also the original bill total and the balance is now different?  So not only do they have an incorrect DOFD but an incorrect DOB for his as well.  This is from EQ and it's still under dispute with them but TU dispute came back verified.  Still not sure what to do next.  

SOUTHWEST CREDIT SYSTEMS I Agency Address: 2629 Dickerson Pkwy Carrollton, TX 750074408 Date Reported: 02/2016 Date Assigned: 12/2015 Creditor Classification: Cable/Cellular Creditor Name: T MOBILE Accounts Number: 5796XXXX Account Owner: Individual Account. Original Amount Owned: $409 Date of 1 st Delinquency: 12/2013 Balance Date: 02/2016 Balance Owned: $511 Last Payment Date : N/A Status Date: 02/2016 Status: D - Unpaid Comments: Consumer disputes this account information

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called T-Mobile today because I really need to know that none of that bill is early term fees that should have been waved through the SCRA and they are going to pull the collection back from the CA  and call me back.  The information in their system didn't give them the final statement.  They said it would take about 7 days so we will see how that goes.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.