Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Fall Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections Fall Off

I lost my job in 2013 and couldn't pay my credit cards. Most DoFD is January 2014. This morning I got a ding stating Calvary had an account in Collections and reports 11/2016 as date opened. When can I expect this debt to fall off my credit I report? I know the 7 years, but is it 7 years from 2014 or 7 years from this month when the debt was sold to Calvary?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Fall Off

Pull one of your actual credit reports and it will tell you either the Date of First Delinquency (so 7 years after that) or some give you an estimated date for removal

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I lost my job in 2013 and couldn't pay my credit cards. Most DoFD is January 2014. This morning I got a ding stating Calvary had an account in Collections and reports 11/2016 as date opened. When can I expect this debt to fall off my credit I report? I know the 7 years, but is it 7 years from 2014 or 7 years from this month when the debt was sold to Calvary?

7 years from when the delinquency OCCURRED. When the CA received it is not relevant to anything.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the DOFD is 01/2014, then the collection must be excluded from your credit report no later than 07/2021 (7 years plus 180 days from DOFD).

See FCRA 605(c).

The CRAs routinely exclude at approx 7 years from DOFD, which would provide an estimated date of exclusion of 01/2021.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I didnt know this. Thanks for sharing. I had a similar issue as well.  Credior put an acct in collections that was from 2012. I was like really. They let it accrue a bunch of interest and then sent it to colllections right before the california SOL was up. Dirty suckers. Glad to know I dont have to wait another 7 years though. Mines should fall off in 2019. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.