Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections Help

I have two collections I am currently working on. One is with Recievables Performance Management, or RPM. I sent a PFD email this morning in which I got a strongly worded denial a short time later. I contacted the OC, Windstream. From what I gather, this account was sold to RPM. The original account closed with Windstream in late 2008 or early 2009 per the Windstream agent. My thought would be that's 9-10 years. Should that still appear on my credit beureos since its over 7 years from DOFD?

The second one is with IC System. I haven't spoken with them. I called the OC, Time Warner Cable this afternoon. They still own the debt. They said I can return the equipment to the store in the city I live in which would reduce the amount by $590 and then pay the additional $303 to them directly. I asked of they would recall the debt from the CA. She responded with they would submit a ticket that it had been resolved. My question is this. Should I pay TWC directly and hope it gets removed or should I try a PFD with IC System?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections Help

Collection 1

A debt collector is required to obtain the DOFD from the creditor, and report it to the CRA no later than 90 days after having reported their collection.

Any collection, paid or unpaid, must be excluded from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.

if a collection remains in your credit report more than 7 years plus 180 days after the DOFD, then either the debt collector reported a DOFD that is later (i.e., still within the 7 years plus 180 day window) or the CRA has blown it, and failed to exclude the collection at the proper time.

First step is to find the DOFD that was reported by the debt collector.

Then you can, if inaccurate, dispute its reported accuracy.

Collection 2

The debt collector reported the collection, not the creditor.

Only the debt collector can delete, or agree to deletion, of their own reporting.

I would send a PFD offer to the debt collector rather than take the around-the-barn chance of the debt collector refusing to delete if you simply pay the OC.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.