cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Question

tag
radiusrod

Collections Question

I have a collections on my TU report but it is not on my Equifax report. It is from Portfolio. I paid it off as soon as i knew i had it. It says the report date is 2007. I'm not in the market for anything right now, just looking to build credit. Actually recieved a mortgage last July! But anyway, i was wondering if i should try to get this taken off or when will it "fall off" my report?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Collections Question

The collection account stays on your reports for about 7.5 years from the date of first deliquency and it's different from the report date you see. If you can spare some stamp money, I see no harm in sending out GW letters, you may qualify for better rate then.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collections Question

@Guava wrote:

The collection account stays on your reports for about 7.5 years from the date of first deliquency and it's different from the report date you see. If you can spare some stamp money, I see no harm in sending out GW letters, you may qualify for better rate then.

+1 for GW.

Also I would suggest getting the TU report from annualcreditreport.com. It is $11 dollars...just because the CA reports as of 2007..it does not mean that DOFD for whatever the report is for is the same..it might be earlier...the report from TU is $11 and gives you approx fall of date...also if you haven't had one pulled in last 12 months you could get it for free.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.