Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections account... Please advise:)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections account... Please advise:)

So, I've been helping my sister rebuild her credit.  This is the last thing I think we need to tackle.  I've made her UA on a couple of my cards and now she even has a couple of her own (Capital ones platium, QS, and Sony). 

So last year I pulled one of her reports.  She has about 11 collection accounts.  Most medical.  Some not.  From when she was married.  All  between 90-1030 dollars.  There are two that are set to fall off next month. The rest go between 2016 and 2021.  I want to tackle these for her.  One company has three of them ($620, $100, $525).  Another company has one for 590.  Four separate companies have the last one: $270, $234, $99, and $1030.  She has one collection that she says I am to NOT EVER to pay off.  It has a story, but she said the vet made a mistake and she doesn't care what it costs her, she will not pay him for having killed her puppy.  He admitted his mistake and still charged her.  So that one... I am leaving.  It is $250 and two years old.

The plan: Should I go newest to oldest or vice versa?  Her newest one is a high one.: $1030.  I was hoping to get a 50% reduction on it.  Or should I start with the lower ones? Or oldest ones first?  Will the oldest ones be more willing to deal?  Also, the company that has three.... should I haggle each individually at the same call or one and then the other.  Some, she can pay off with one payment... others if they don't come down far enough she may need to make payment arranagements.  What would be the best plan you think?  The ones that are coming off next month, should she even bother paying?  I know she would still owe the debt, but truly, she has a smaller income and if not paying them doesn't help or hurt.... what is best?  Your thoughts are kindly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections account... Please advise:)

I would probably try sending a Debt Validation letter, but due to HIPAA law, you may find recourse elsewhere!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I've been helping my sister rebuild her credit.  This is the last thing I think we need to tackle.  I've made her UA on a couple of my cards and now she even has a couple of her own (Capital ones platium, QS, and Sony). 

So last year I pulled one of her reports.  She has about 11 collection accounts.  Most medical.  Some not.  From when she was married.  All  between 90-1030 dollars.  There are two that are set to fall off next month. The rest go between 2016 and 2021.  I want to tackle these for her.  One company has three of them ($620, $100, $525).  Another company has one for 590.  Four separate companies have the last one: $270, $234, $99, and $1030.  She has one collection that she says I am to NOT EVER to pay off.  It has a story, but she said the vet made a mistake and she doesn't care what it costs her, she will not pay him for having killed her puppy.  He admitted his mistake and still charged her.  So that one... I am leaving.  It is $250 and two years old.

The plan: Should I go newest to oldest or vice versa?  Her newest one is a high one.: $1030.  I was hoping to get a 50% reduction on it.  Or should I start with the lower ones? Or oldest ones first?  Will the oldest ones be more willing to deal?  Also, the company that has three.... should I haggle each individually at the same call or one and then the other.  Some, she can pay off with one payment... others if they don't come down far enough she may need to make payment arranagements.  What would be the best plan you think?  The ones that are coming off next month, should she even bother paying?  I know she would still owe the debt, but truly, she has a smaller income and if not paying them doesn't help or hurt.... what is best?  Your thoughts are kindly appreciated. 

For best scoring results work newest to oldest, and highest priority are any items updating every month.

If the Vet killed her puppy because of negligence that he has admitted to she needs to take him to small claims court.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Concerning the medical collections before you do anything google HIPPA letter process by Why Chat.  Follow the process exactly as it is laid out.  If you are not sure of what to do ask questions before doing anything.  If you have problems finding the process or have questions PM me.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where we live small claims is 300- 3000 dollars.  She doesn't have enough on the bill to do it.  We'd rather he took it off but both of them are at an impass.  He left the pup overnight with a tech who left the pup and went home.  She died because of complications that would have been caught had someone been there to monitor like there was supposed to have been.  He fired the girl but still wants the final part of the bill paid.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Where we live small claims is 300- 3000 dollars.  She doesn't have enough on the bill to do it.  We'd rather he took it off but both of them are at an impass.  He left the pup overnight with a tech who left the pup and went home.  She died because of complications that would have been caught had someone been there to monitor like there was supposed to have been.  He fired the girl but still wants the final part of the bill paid.

The solution is simple - sue for the bill plus the value of the dog. A dog is property which has value under the law. Under the law, he is responsible for the negligence of his employees. Even a mixed breed dog has a value of $50.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know... we never thought about adding the value of the dog.  I will look into that.  Thank you.  She and I adopted the little girls together so we wouldn't fight over who gets to hold the puppy.  They both needed homes so I figured I'd get one, and she the other.  We were both so sad when Ethel passed. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this isn't really advice, but I am apalled that a vet would have the nerve to charge someone after killing their pet. Especially due to negligence. ESPECIALLY after admitting to it. And 250 dollars? Really, he can't eat 250 dollars? Most of it was probably examination fees that didn't even cost him anything. You'd think he'd eat the 250 just so she don't go around telling everyone what he did and how he charged her AND put it in collections to ruin her credit report on top of all that. I would have taken him to court just on principle alone. That is the shadiest thing I've ever heard and it's probably gonna ruin my whole week thinking about it.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You know... we never thought about adding the value of the dog.  I will look into that.  Thank you.  She and I adopted the little girls together so we wouldn't fight over who gets to hold the puppy.  They both needed homes so I figured I'd get one, and she the other.  We were both so sad when Ethel passed. 

I would be willing to bet that the Vet would fold, or not even show up, giving you a default judgement, if you filed in court. 

I would also be sure to ask that the OC and CA account be deleted from all CRAs.

GL

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shamrockblast:  You are as appalled and we are.  He charged over $1000 to "help" her.  I laid my discover down and didn't bat and eye.  They called us the next morning to tell us how sorry they were.  We went and picked her up.  On the way home after spending  twenty minutes of him telling us everything, the office called and said we hadn't paid the bill competely.  The $1,498.85 wasn't all the bill as there were charges for the over night stay.  I was appalled.  I wanted to call discover and dispute the charge.  My sister told them to *%^& off.   Given my credit, i don't think I would have paid the bill.  To this day we are still very angry. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.