cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections and old accounts...what happens next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections and old accounts...what happens next?

Hey everyone! I'm very new to credit, but have been doing some research the past month or so, mostly on this site and have learned so much! I do, however have some questions.

1) I have a WF credit card account that is marked as "charged off". However, I'm still able to make payments through WF (thankfully it wasn't sent to collections). I have a TON of late payments because I was stupid and 19 and decided to avoid paying this for as long as possible. Now it came and bit me in the butt. Question is: once I PIF through the WF website, will the "charged off" remark change to PIF. Will is be on my credit report from 7 years after I pay it off?

2) I have a Barclay CC that I used to buy an apple computer a few years ago, again, stupid 19-20 year old me dodged it as much as possible. It's marked as "open collection/charge off". The difference with this one is, before I found this site, I decided to call the CA that had been pretty much harrassing me for money and agreed on a payment plan. My balance was $1879. We came to an agreement that I'd pay $1479. Which is fine, the debt is obviously mine. This will be paid off by May 2016. Question is: Will this too be on my report for 7 years from the date of my last payment? Should I try a GW letter after it's paid to request some late payments be removed?

3) I have an old Verizon account that I didn't pay because I forgot about is. Balance is $154 and is marked as "open collection/charge off" with no late payments because on CK. I tried PIF through verizon, but since it was sent to a collection agency, they won't take it back. I guess my question is: if there is no data, but it still reports as a charged off account, will it change to PIF once paid? Or will I just have to wait for it to drop off?

4) I have a collection account on my experian credit report that I didn't even know about, but it doesn't show up on CK. It's for $137 from an urgent care visit that I did back in 2010. I haven't heard anything from them. No phone calls, no emails, no letters. What should I do? Should I try and PFD or just ignore it and let it fall off?

Thank you for your patience!!!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections and old accounts...what happens next?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm very new to credit, but have been doing some research the past month or so, mostly on this site and have learned so much! I do, however have some questions.

1) I have a WF credit card account that is marked as "charged off". However, I'm still able to make payments through WF (thankfully it wasn't sent to collections). I have a TON of late payments because I was stupid and 19 and decided to avoid paying this for as long as possible. Now it came and bit me in the butt. Question is: once I PIF through the WF website, will the "charged off" remark change to PIF. Will is be on my credit report from 7 years after I pay it off? The account will always be a CO going forward albeit a Paid was CO or something to that effect. As far as drop off date see answer in #2

2) I have a Barclay CC that I used to buy an apple computer a few years ago, again, stupid 19-20 year old me dodged it as much as possible. It's marked as "open collection/charge off". The difference with this one is, before I found this site, I decided to call the CA that had been pretty much harrassing me for money and agreed on a payment plan. My balance was $1879. We came to an agreement that I'd pay $1479. Which is fine, the debt is obviously mine. This will be paid off by May 2016. Question is: Will this too be on my report for 7 years from the date of my last payment? No, the reporting period is a max of 7.5 yrs from the reported DoFD. Should I try a GW letter after it's paid to request some late payments be removed?  You want to begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the whole CO once its updated to a paid CO, removal of lates isnt going to gain you much if anything its the CO that is the problem. If you didnt get a PFD from the CA and they are going to report a paid collection you would start a GW letter campaign with them as well asking for removal of their TL.

3) I have an old Verizon account that I didn't pay because I forgot about is. Balance is $154 and is marked as "open collection/charge off" with no late payments because on CK. I tried PIF through verizon, but since it was sent to a collection agency, they won't take it back. I guess my question is: if there is no data, but it still reports as a charged off account, will it change to PIF once paid? Yes it has to update to 0 balance due once its paid its the law that accurate info be reported. I would call and ask for a supervisor or manager there are people who get Verizon to recall the CA in exchange for full payment. Or will I just have to wait for it to drop off?

4) I have a collection account on my experian credit report that I didn't even know about, but it doesn't show up on CK. It's for $137 from an urgent care visit that I did back in 2010. I haven't heard anything from them. No phone calls, no emails, no letters. What should I do? Should I try and PFD or just ignore it and let it fall off?

Your choice to pay or not to pay. If you decide it should be paid then For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections and old accounts...what happens next?

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1) I have a WF credit card account that is marked as "charged off". However, I'm still able to make payments through WF (thankfully it wasn't sent to collections). I have a TON of late payments because I was stupid and 19 and decided to avoid paying this for as long as possible. Now it came and bit me in the butt. Question is: once I PIF through the WF website, will the "charged off" remark change to PIF. Will is be on my credit report from 7 years after I pay it off? The account will always be a CO going forward albeit a Paid was CO or something to that effect. As far as drop off date see answer in #2

2) I have a Barclay CC that I used to buy an apple computer a few years ago, again, stupid 19-20 year old me dodged it as much as possible. It's marked as "open collection/charge off". The difference with this one is, before I found this site, I decided to call the CA that had been pretty much harrassing me for money and agreed on a payment plan. My balance was $1879. We came to an agreement that I'd pay $1479. Which is fine, the debt is obviously mine. This will be paid off by May 2016. Question is: Will this too be on my report for 7 years from the date of my last payment? No, the reporting period is a max of 7.5 yrs from the reported DoFD. Should I try a GW letter after it's paid to request some late payments be removed?  You want to begin a GW letter campaign asking for removal of the whole CO once its updated to a paid CO, removal of lates isnt going to gain you much if anything its the CO that is the problem. If you didnt get a PFD from the CA and they are going to report a paid collection you would start a GW letter campaign with them as well asking for removal of their TL.

3) I have an old Verizon account that I didn't pay because I forgot about is. Balance is $154 and is marked as "open collection/charge off" with no late payments because on CK. I tried PIF through verizon, but since it was sent to a collection agency, they won't take it back. I guess my question is: if there is no data, but it still reports as a charged off account, will it change to PIF once paid? Yes it has to update to 0 balance due once its paid its the law that accurate info be reported. I would call and ask for a supervisor or manager there are people who get Verizon to recall the CA in exchange for full payment. Or will I just have to wait for it to drop off?

Your choice to pay or not to pay. If you decide it should be paid then For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

thanks for responding! 

once my CA is paid off for my Barclay card, will it then be on my credit report? it's not reported, nor has it ever been reported. i'm nervous that once i finish paying it off, it'll show up on my CR and screw up any progress i've made. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.