Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections deleted hurting score?

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Collections deleted hurting score?

I've heard here and there that sometimes a colletion being removed from your report can actually hurt your score? Just curious what causes it to hurt your score? I've only ever seen people get pretty decent bumps from having collections deleted.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections deleted hurting score?

I've read posters saying they lost points when a collections was removed.  I couldn't tell you why. 

Even if they were showing up in the account section they are still scored as a collection and your score should go up.

It could be that something else happened simultaneously with the collection being removed they weren't aware of that actually made the score go down.

Message 2 of 6
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I've read posters saying they lost points when a collections was removed.  I couldn't tell you why. 

Even if they were showing up in the account section they are still scored as a collection and your score should go up.

It could be that something else happened simultaneously with the collection being removed they weren't aware of that actually made the score go down.

That's been my experience too, any collection deleted has caused a pretty decent score bump.

Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

A collection removal shouldn't cause a score drop, but stranger things has happened.  I wouldn't sweat it much, I'm all for a cleaner report even if it costs a point or two.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
tlbrown23

From my experience (which isn't much) if the collection is old then it isn't hurting your score that much, and when it is deleted it can change your length of credit history which will drop your score. But that would only happen under certain conditions. For example, I had a old CC collection, which was my first CC. When it dropped off, my score dropped because it shortened my length of credit history by a couple years (I didnt have any other tradlines around that time).

Started Credit Journey June 2012 with EQ score of 562 (not fico)
Current Fico Scores 6/25/13: EX 617, EQ 596, TU 653
Current Goal: Middle score of 640
Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@tlbrown23 wrote:

From my experience (which isn't much) if the collection is old then it isn't hurting your score that much, and when it is deleted it can change your length of credit history which will drop your score. But that would only happen under certain conditions. For example, I had a old CC collection, which was my first CC. When it dropped off, my score dropped because it shortened my length of credit history by a couple years (I didnt have any other tradlines around that time).

Collections are not counted in your AAoA unless it is the OC reporting the collections.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.