Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections from Medical Debt lower score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections from Medical Debt lower score

I have a collections that just came onto my account from a past due medical bill. I paid it off as soon as I became aware that it was on my credit report. Is there any way to get this removed from my account? It dropped my score about 100 points. If I contact the debt collection agency can I petition them to remove it? I already filed a dispute with Transunion and Equifax to see if they can remove the charge from my repot. The total of the debt was only $400.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections from Medical Debt lower score

Disputing only applies if the debt is invalid. You might get lucky and they delete it, but you have no legit basis for disputing it.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For future reference, get them to agree to delete it before paying. For this one, try a goodwill letter.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll try a goodwill letter do I send that directly to the debt collections company? I'm really annoyed because I'm in the process of trying to purchase a home and I had no idea of this debt. IT lowered my score from ~780 down to 665 for both TU and Equifax. As I undestand even though I already paid it off I'll have to wait 7 years now  for my score to go back to those levels. .The reset of my credit is perfect, no outstanding debt, no late payments nothing.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

im gonna private message you

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about the why chat dispute letter? As I understand, once I pay my medical collections, I can write a letter and *poof* they will go away. They are all very small but there are 4 of them totalling all of $145. They are from a time when my kids (micropreemie twins) medical bills were never ending and I missed a few. Wouldn't the why chat dispute apply both here and to me once I pay this wee little debt?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shamrockblack...can you PM me as well. I have the same situation.
Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What about the why chat dispute letter? As I understand, once I pay my medical collections, I can write a letter and *poof* they will go away. They are all very small but there are 4 of them totalling all of $145. They are from a time when my kids (micropreemie twins) medical bills were never ending and I missed a few. Wouldn't the why chat dispute apply both here and to me once I pay this wee little debt?

This cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico you will need to contact WhyChat on that.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.