Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections has detailed medical info

tag
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Collections has detailed medical info

I got a letter Friday from Puget Sound Collections with and itemized statement of a procedure that took place at Harrison Hospital. They stated that I had asked for verification, I had not.

When I saw the entry on my wife’s CR I contacted Harrison Hospital via certified letter offering to pay the balance in full at $100.00 a month. It was after that I got the collection letter.

Don’t think a collection agency or any third party can legally have such detailed medical information.
Maybe this is a case where “the process” should be used. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Collections has detailed medical info

HIPAA can be very confusing.

A CA is a covered entity under HIPAA, which means the hospital is allowed to give them all the information in order to collect a debt.  As long as the CA sends that information to the individual and not to anyone else, it is ok.

The process you refer to is for paid collections to the OC.  And IMO, there is really nothing in the process that would require anyone to delete.

I would contact the OC again, by phone, and ask if you can pay them directly and and have the debt recalled from the CA. 

Message 2 of 3
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Re: Collections has detailed medical info

Yes it is confusing. I just read it through again and you are right.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.