Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections into small claims and now paying law firm

tag
cchagz87

Collections into small claims and now paying law firm

Hi All.

I had a medical bill from 2012 go into collections and I neglected to pay the collection agency, mostly because I was young and dumb at the time. So, it went to small claims court and we settled out of court saying I would pay $25 a week until it was paid off to the law office the collection agency sent it to. 

My issue is right now, I have about 1-2 payments left due, but I could pay it all at once if I had to. I was wondering what I should do with the last payment(s). I heard it doesnt really help your score when its paid in full, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I sent out a PFD letter last week to the CA and the law firm, but havent heard back. Should I wait on that? 

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections into small claims and now paying law firm

@cchagz87 wrote:

Hi All.

I had a medical bill from 2012 go into collections and I neglected to pay the collection agency, mostly because I was young and dumb at the time. So, it went to small claims court and we settled out of court saying I would pay $25 a week until it was paid off to the law office the collection agency sent it to. 

My issue is right now, I have about 1-2 payments left due, but I could pay it all at once if I had to. I was wondering what I should do with the last payment(s). I heard it doesnt really help your score when its paid in full, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I sent out a PFD letter last week to the CA and the law firm, but havent heard back. Should I wait on that? 

Any help would be great. Thanks!

One would only use a PFD on an account that was not currently being settled. I would just ask them for GW on this and pay it off.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

First, they have you under legal contract to pay, and second, the last two payments are not substnatial such that getting the $ today would be of much more value than getting it in the next two monthsl.  Of you dont pay, they have cause to bring breach of contract action.  Not much incentive at this point based on the remaining payments that would likely affect their willingness to delete.

A PFD is a form of good-will, and whehter you now couch it as a PFD would probably make little substantive difference.

Paying would get it satisifed, and thus clear the way for a GW request.

I would most likely pay it off, and send a GW.

Message 3 of 4
cchagz87

Thank you for the help. I plan on paying off the rest in the next few weeks then. I will then go for the letter of GW and hope that they will take off the collections part, as I figured there is no chance of getting the public record vacated.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.