Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections not showing who reported them

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections not showing who reported them

I have several accounts in collections and am wanting to get my credit straight.  However, many of them on my say, "Collection on debt to: Not Reported"

How do I find out who is reporting these things?  And will it help my FICO score if I can get these paid off?  Most of them are only for a few hundred dollars.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections not showing who reported them

That should not happen.

FDCPA 809(a) requires any collection agency to provide you what is called "dunning notice" within 5-days of any initial contact with you.  And posting to your CR is legally an initial contact that triggers their requirement  to provide you proper dunning notice.

They were requiired, by law, to have provided you that contact into.

If they posted to  your CR, first call the CRA and ask them for the CA name and addrress.  They may not give that to you.  They dont have to.

If they dont or wont, simply file a formal request with the CRA under FCRA 609(a)(1) for all information in your credit file that relates to this information.  That requires an attached check in the amount of $10.50, payable to the CRA.  FCRA 612(f).  The CRA must comply with this request.

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Collections not showing who reported them

Note: I've noticed, Robert, that the prices have changed some. The price for a report is either $10 or $11 now.

BTW, OP, you can order online and get the exact same report. You can request one for free once a year via annualcreditreport.com. Aside from that, if you were denied for credit or experienced adverse action due to your CR, you can get it for free too. There are other ways as well like if you suspect ID theft or some states allow you to get it for free or at a reduced price. YMMV. Finally, there are some backdoor ways of getting it for free. I pull all 3 directly from the CRAs quarterly and I don't pay for them (well, except for EQ..I just subscribed and pay via that).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.