Collections on Credit Report ?

[ Edited ]

I have 2 small medical collections from a hospital on my credit report. They do belong to me.  They are from a collection agency.

1.     I understand that if I pay the collection agency the full amount due that it will NOT help my credit score.  Is that true ?

2.    Is there anything I can do to have these removed from my credit file ?

3.    Does anybody know if I could still pay the hospital directly and ask them to remove the 2 collections ?

4.    Does a collection agency have the ability to remove from my credit report if I pay them in full ?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Collections on Credit Report ?

1) it will not help your score, though it looks better on manual review.

2) you can try a pay for delete with collection agency, or just pay and and after send good will letters asking them to remove.

3) it is possible, but no guarantee CA would remove unless hospital agrees and collection agency has good working relationship with hospital.

4) yes, CA's can report anything they wish, including the ability to delete.

Collection agencies want to get paid first and foremost. A pleasant agreement asking them if you pay in full will they delete is your best option. And get that in writing from them.

Amex BCP $17,400, Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Hilton $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $8100, Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Fidelity Amex $5000, Barclay Arrival World Elite MC $6000, Citi Hilton Visa Sig., $8800, Citi TY Preferred $7900, Citi Diamond Preferred $7400, Citi Dividend $7500, US Bank Flexperks Visa Sig, $7500 Discover IT $7500, Chase Freedom $3500, Cap One Cash $2500,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 755
New Contributor

Hi Vettecor - Welcome to the boards.

I'm new to the boards so I'm no authority on any of this. However, I've done a ton of reading and figured I'd point you in a direction that helped me. IMO you may benefit from attempting a PFD (Pay For Deletion). Here's a thread that you can check out that will help you understand how this works. You'll also find a ton of threads listed with success stories of people being able to accomplish this:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

I hope this information helps you out!!!!

Starting Score Early 2013: TU - 556 & EF - 552 & EXP - 591
Current Score 10/09/14 (MyFico): TU - 666 & EF - 665 & EXP- 711
Goal Score: 730 Across all 3 bureaus
Senior Contributor

I paid one, asked to delete and they did.
Senior Contributor

Make that two deletions
Epic Contributor

Vettecor wrote:

I have 2 small medical collections from a hospital on my credit report. They do belong to me.  They are from a collection agency.

1.     I understand that if I pay the collection agency the full amount due that it will NOT help my credit score.  Is that true ?  Yes, it is true.  Won't help your FICO.

2.    Is there anything I can do to have these removed from my credit file ? Ask for a PFD - pay for delete.  You pay, they delete.

3.    Does anybody know if I could still pay the hospital directly and ask them to remove the 2 collections ? You can ask the OC if you can pay and recall the debt from the CA.  They can also ask them to remove their TL but the CA doesn't have to do that.  The OC has to still own the debt to take your money.

4.    Does a collection agency have the ability to remove from my credit report if I pay them in full ? Yes they do.  A PFD.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks

Thank you so much for ALL of this wonderful information.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.