Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections on a tax amount from 2006

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections on a tax amount from 2006

Hello,

The state of Missouri has notified me of a tax amount (roughly $2,500, includes interest). This is from 2006.

I contacted them today, and the fellow stated that it is already with a collection agency since July 2015. There is no indication on my credit report that there is a collection for this amount from the state of Missouri.

I am worried that by contacting the state of Missouri about this tax debt, that they are now going to file it to the CA. Should I be worried if it's not on there already?

The representative from the State of Missouri Department of Revenue seemed to think that it won't report on my credit report, and if it does, as long as I take care of it, it will be "Expunged."

Any insights?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections on a tax amount from 2006

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

The state of Missouri has notified me of a tax amount (roughly $2,500, includes interest). This is from 2006.

I contacted them today, and the fellow stated that it is already with a collection agency since July 2015. There is no indication on my credit report that there is a collection for this amount from the state of Missouri.

I am worried that by contacting the state of Missouri about this tax debt, that they are now going to file it to the CA. Should I be worried if it's not on there already?

The representative from the State of Missouri Department of Revenue seemed to think that it won't report on my credit report, and if it does, as long as I take care of it, it will be "Expunged."

Any insights?

Thanks

Seems they already told you its with a CA?

Its probably been on your reports and gone by now. Its well past the exclusion period.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Any insights?

Thanks

Its probably been on your reports and gone by now. Its well past the exclusion period.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Excuse my ignorance. As you can tell, I'm a newb, but I've been lurking the forum quite a bit.

I haven't seen it on any credit reports, at all, ever in the past 10 years.

My main follow up question would be: by contacting the state of Missouri, did I just make a huge mistake?As in, now that they know I am aware of the tax debt, that they are going to somehow "revive" their collection efforts?

My central fear is that I've just awakened a monster by calling them, and that they are going to go after me somehow now. Again, excuse my ignorance / paranoia lol.

Also, I don't quite know what "exclusion period" means.

Thanks for your time & replies.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Any insights?

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance. As you can tell, I'm a newb, but I've been lurking the forum quite a bit.

My main follow up question would be: by contacting the state of Missouri, did I just make a huge mistake?As in, now that they know I am aware of the tax debt, that they are going to somehow "revive" their collection efforts?

My central fear is that I've just awakened a monster by calling them, and that they are going to go after me somehow now. Again, excuse my ignorance / paranoia lol.

"exclusion period" is the 7.5 years that a derogatory item can be on your reports. If they have sent it to collections, then that means they are pretty much done with it. You would deal with whatever CA they have sent it to. Is $2500 the amount that is currently owed? Missouri has a 5 year SOL, but I have no idea if that applies to tax debts. Do you still reside in Missouri?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Any insights?

Thanks

"exclusion period" is the 7.5 years that a derogatory item can be on your reports. If they have sent it to collections, then that means they are pretty much done with it. You would deal with whatever CA they have sent it to. Is $2500 the amount that is currently owed? Missouri has a 5 year SOL, but I have no idea if that applies to tax debts. Do you still reside in Missouri?

Thank you for the reply. I guess I still have some confusion.

1. The state of Missouri told me they reported the debt in July of 2015 to the CA. The taxes owed were from 2006. Does the fact that we are now 10 years from the original debt (2006 ---> 2016) mean that it won't ever show up on a CR?

2. I don't live in Missouri anymore.

3. $2500 is the amount currently owed, according to the state of Missouri.

My main question is: Is there any chance that this will show up on my CR? Does the exclusion period exempt it from reporting at this point?

Thanks

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another way to rephrase my question:

There are a few questions/answers that I'd like to confirm from my research.

1. Would the DoFD in my situation be 2006 (the year that the taxes were unpaid), or would it be 2015 (the year that the state of Missouri said they reported it to a CA)?

2. Can the state of Missouri file a tax lien at this point? According to my research, they have 20 years to file a tax lien. Would they have done this by now (10 years after the original tax year)? Also, if they do file a tax lien, since the original date of the debt (2006) is ten years old now, could I have the tax lien removed from my CR?

3. Is there any explanation as to why I've never seen a TL on my CR regarding this tax debt, in light of the fact that the state of Missouri stated they reported it to a CA? Would the most rational explanation be that the CRA won't list it, because the debt is past the DoFD?

My central concern (and it is really worrying me), is that by contacting the state of Missouri regarding this tax debt, I've suddenly "awakened a sleeping beast". In my mind, the guy on the phone (who was very nice) is gonna press a button that will initiate a tax lien, or something else that's horrible that will ruin my CR.

I've spent many years rebuilding my credit, and I don't want this 10 year old debt to suddenly come back and haunt me.

Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Here is what can and cannot be done. A CA cannot report the debt ever anymore to your CR as they have to abide by the FCRA which limits the time period to 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD, anything from 2006 is done reporting from a CA. The state could decide to file a tax lien, a tax lien can report for 7 years from the time it is PAID and there is no exclusion of it from your report as long as it remains unpaid unless you live in CA which has a 10 year limit from the time the lien is filed or 7 years from time its paid.

I would settle this matter with the state as tax debts typically never disappear at the state level.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Here is what can and cannot be done. A CA cannot report the debt ever anymore to your CR as they have to abide by the FCRA which limits the time period to 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD, anything from 2006 is done reporting from a CA. The state could decide to file a tax lien, a tax lien can report for 7 years from the time it is PAID and there is no exclusion of it from your report as long as it remains unpaid unless you live in CA which has a 10 year limit from the time the lien is filed or 7 years from time its paid.

I would settle this matter with the state as tax debts typically never disappear at the state level.

Thank you for this advice!

Ok, I think I have some clarity with the situation now.

I can pay the amount in full this week.

Some follow up questions:

1. If I pay in full, should I pay through the state of Missouri, or the collection agency?

2. What's the likelihood that the state of Missouri will "all of a sudden" file a lien on me? Like, I wake up Monday morning, and there's a lien? I guess I ask because, this past Friday was the first time I contacted the state of Missouri (I just found out about this issue...). When I talked to the representative from the State of Missouri, he was helpful, but he did put me on hold a lot. Do you think that he has the power to file a lien?

3. Is there a likelihood that they will file a lien, even though I pay it in full ASAP? In other words, if I call this week to pay in full, will it COMPLETELY stop any possibility of a lien?

4. This question is a little trickier, and might not be answerable... The amount that the state of Missouri says I owe is, in my belief, erroneous. If I file an amended return, and my total overall liability is reduced, and I've already paid the higher amount that they have on record now, will I be eligible for a refund of the difference?

Thank you for all your help and consideration. It means a lot...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.