Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections on my report at random

tag
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Collections on my report at random

So recently I purchased a new vehicle in march and paid a collection in full last month why is it that since 1 was removed 3 more have shown on my report. I don't recall receiving anything on the mail regarding them. My plan was to pay off one at a time because I want to improve my score etc and prepare for home purchase on a few years any suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections on my report at random

Debt collectors have permissible purpose to pull a consumer's credit report without any need for any express authorization from the consumer.

They will often code such inquiries as soft in order to conceal them from normal credit reports received by a consumer.

You can, however, see debt collector soft pulls by ordering your complete report from annualcreditreport.com, which is limited only to consumers pulling their own reports, and thus can include soft as well as hard inquiries.

A debt collector can choose to wait in their collection activities until they have determined that the consumer may now be in a financial position to pay the debt.

If you are aware of unpaid collections, I would first check your records to determine the approximate DOFD, and thus get an idea of how long they could possible still report.

No collection can continue to appear in your credit report beyond 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34.

Sometimes it's a catch 22 when you're rebuilding and you're credit profile goes from being stagnant to showing improvement.  Creditors know that you're now ripe for the picking cause you care about how your credit report look. 

If you're not applying for anything, take care of the collections as you can, assuming that the CAs are not threatening litigation. 

Message 3 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Debt collectors have permissible purpose to pull a consumer's credit report without any need for any express authorization from the consumer.

They will often code such inquiries as soft in order to conceal them from normal credit reports received by a consumer.

You can, however, see debt collector soft pulls by ordering your complete report from annualcreditreport.com, which is limited only to consumers pulling their own reports, and thus can include soft as well as hard inquiries.

A debt collector can choose to wait in their collection activities until they have determined that the consumer may now be in a financial position to pay the debt.

If you are aware of unpaid collections, I would first check your records to determine the approximate DOFD, and thus get an idea of how long they could possible still report.

No collection can continue to appear in your credit report beyond 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Thanks RobertEG

Message 4 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sparklerd34.

Sometimes it's a catch 22 when you're rebuilding and you're credit profile goes from being stagnant to showing improvement.  Creditors know that you're now ripe for the picking cause you care about how your credit report look. 

If you're not applying for anything, take care of the collections as you can, assuming that the CAs are not threatening litigation. 

Thanks kaykay65  im not trying to apply for anything right now. im just trying to get a good profile long term,  its like i take care of 1 and 3 more are added. I guess it can be frustrating but i never really cared as much as i do now too.

Message 5 of 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Just deal with them one by one and eventually you'll get to the end of them. Slow and steady wins the race.
Message 6 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@rmduhon wrote:
Just deal with them one by one and eventually you'll get to the end of them. Slow and steady wins the race.

Yea i keepy trying to remind myself that all the time....  thanks! I need patience lol

Message 7 of 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

That's why hubby will have nothing to do with rebuilding our credit. The man has no patience at all
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:

@rmduhon wrote:

Yea i keep trying to remind myself that all the time....  thanks! I need patience lolI

I feel your pain.  Smiley Very Happy  I have one CO and 1 late payment still on my reports and they will fall off later on in the year and I feel like I need patience too cause nothing going to make them disappear except time. 

Message 9 of 10
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@rmduhon wrote:
That's why hubby will have nothing to do with rebuilding our credit. The man has no patience at all

I understand. i did that but eventually i needed credit and i didnt want to be biting my names for a yes or no.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.