cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections on my report, is it an error and is it worth pursuing?

tag
Oatmeal

Collections on my report, is it an error and is it worth pursuing?

This is the first time I have looked into my credit and there is so much information and greatly appreciate some insight on what the best path to follow is (looking to purchase a home in the near future).   Apprciate the help!

Accounts in question:
CA Medical: Paid original creditor, balance of 0
CA Utility: Paid original creditor, balance of 0
OC Utility: Paid original creditor, balance of 0

Credit reporting agency:
Equifax FACO 780, FICO 793: Lists 0 negative/collection accounts
Experian FACO 744, FICO ?: Lists the CA utility collection account as paid and closed (In equifax complete advantage it is listed under collection accounts)
Transunion FACO 650, FICO 716: Lists CA utility and CA medical account, both with balances of 0, also lists the OC utility with balance of 0. (Credit Karma says I have 1 account in collections, equifax complete advantage says both CA medical and utility are open and lists them under negative accounts, Myfico under collections says CA medical is closed and CA utility is placed for collections with the OC utility listed under accounts with a negative indicator flag)

Is Transunion's reporting an error--the double reporting of the OC utility and the CA utility and the CA utility status as placed under collections? (text from report is pasted below)

If they are errors does it mean one or more would be removed or would it just change the status to closed? How would it impact my credit score?

Could the items potentially be reported to the other credit reporting agencies if I initiate a dispute??

Transunion:
Collection Agency 2 - Healthcare
Balance: $0
Date Updated: 01/2007
Original Balance: $93
Original Creditor: Healthcare
Past Due: $0
Pay Status: >Payment After Charge Off/Collection<
Account Type: Open
Account Responsibility: Individual
Account Date Closed: 12/2006
Date Paid: 12/2006
Loan Type: Collection
Agency Attorney Remark: >Paid collection<
Date placed for collection: [ 11/2006]
Estimated date that this item will be removed: 05/2013

Collection Agency 1 - Utility
Date Updated: 04/2009
Original Balance: $351
Original Creditor: Utility
Pay Status: >Collection Account<
Account Type: Open Account
Responsibility: Individual Account
Date Paid: 03/2007
Agency Attorney Remark: >Placed for collection<
Date placed for collection: [ 09/2006]
Estimated date that this item will be removed: 03/2013

Utility
Date Updated: 04/2007
High Balance: $0 Past Due: $0
Date Opened: 06/2005
Date Closed: 07/2006
Loan Type: Utility
Company Remark: Closed
Estimated date that this item will be removed: 01/2013

Experian:
Collection Agency 1 Utility
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jan 2013.
Date Opened: 09/2006
Reported Since: 04/2009
Date of Status: 04/2009
Last Reported: 04/2009
Type: Collection
Terms: 1 Months Monthly Payment: $0
Responsibility: Individual
Credit Limit/Original Amount: $351
High Balance: NA
Recent Balance: $0 as of 04/2009
Recent Payment: $0
Account History: Collection as of Apr 2009

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Collections on my report, is it an error and is it worth pursuing?

I'll chime in here.  Generally, the OC and CA can and do both report.  But, utility companies don't usuall report, only their collection account does when you don't pay up.  So I'm kind of confused on that one myself.  Have you tried sending out goodwill letters to try and get them off your reports? 

Also, from what you posted it looks like EX would be your middle score that would be used for your mortgage app (the one score you don't have, go figure!).  But based on what you posted, these negatives are pretty old and aren't hurting you too much.  Getting rid of them you'll give you a really nice score though!  Try and GW them! 

A dispute CAN cause a CA to start reporting to a CRA it wasn't before, but I think it's pretty rare that happens. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 7
Oatmeal

Thanks for the reply kjm79, your info is very helpful!

Interesting that the utility company does not normally report, same account number as the one the collection agency is reporting.

Do you reccomend I send GW letters to the CA or the OC?  Do you think that the GW  letter is safer than a dispute to prevent the info getting reported to the other agencies?

Also, do I have a valid dispute because the utility collection account is listed as placed for collection and not paid?  If so, is the likely outcome removal or just changing it to paid?  Would it being marked as paid increase the credit score?

Really appreciate your help, sorry for all the questions this stuff is confusing!  Will let you know what the Experian FICO score once my real estate agent runs my info.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I think most people would like for utility companies and rental companied to routinely report since it could give some positive credit history.  But very very few do.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe the OC listed itself as a collection account but then sold the debt off to the CA.  Both would still be permitted to report. 

I personally would send GW's to each company that is reporting as they are the ones who have to make the adjustments on the tradelines. 

The info you posted about the utility co says it has a zero balance.  It doesn't say you owe anything.  The information itself looks accurate so you can't dispute accurate info.  You could try disputing as duplicate accounts???  Not sure how that will turn out.

They are all already paid.  But even if one was unpaid, paying it wouldn't raise your score.  A paid and unpaid collection is the same as far as scoring goes.  Getting one off TU won't help much score wise because you still have more.  Getting the one of EX would help as it's the only one, whenever you get that score. 

Definitely keep us posted on what happens! 

Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Message 4 of 7
Oatmeal

What I am wondering is if  the Transunion CA utility is disputable because it does not list a date paid and also under remarks it says it is "<placed for collections>" instead of account paid.  As a result the agencies are seeing it as an active account and their scoring models seem to punishing me for it.  Am I undertanding you correctly that this does not impact the FICO scoring model? -- could that be why the transunion score jumped from 650 (equifax scoring model based transunion data) to 716(FICO)?

Thanks again for taking your time to help out, this stuff is confusing.

Message 5 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Oatmeal wrote:

From this, it looks like it's listed as a collection account no matter what.  The date paid wouldn't change your score any.  Do you remember if you paid this account.  I suppose you could dipute that fact that it's still listed as open and not closed.  But again, it's still a collection on your report and the info reported itself won't chagne your score as long as it's there.  If I'm wrong I'm sure one of the veteran's will correct me here, but I don't think you're punished more or less for the way data in the remarks.  A collection account is a collection account is a collection account.  Paid or unpaid, settled or paid in fill, score wise all the same.  Only thing that helps your score with a collection is getting it deleted, or as it gets older is had less impact on your score.  If you're trying to compare the fako score to the fico, there is no correlation between the two.  They are have difference score ranges and what can cause a fico to raise can lower a fako and vice versa.  Thing to remember about collections and scores is that a collection will be scored the same no matter the pay status, open or closed, only time and deletions erases the damage caused by them. 

Message 6 of 7
Oatmeal

Got my full report

Equifax: 793 (beacon) -- same as myfico

Transunion: 705  (classic 04) -- lower the myfico (716)

Experian: 710 (ver. 2)

Noticed on my reports that the Utility CA account for Transunion says estimated date for removal is 03/2013 versus 01/2013 for the original collector.  Aren't those suppose to be the same?  Can I file a dispute based on that?

On the Experian report for the Utility CA it says removal of 01/2013.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.