Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections pif vs settle

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections pif vs settle

I am working on cleaning up my credit to buy a house. Im hovering at 600 on all 3 right now. I sent a pfd request to the 3 collecion agencies. One agreed, I paid,it and it has since been deleted. I have 2 that refused however said they would take less and it would be labled settled. My question is, since these last 2 have been in collections for a couple years, would it be best to pay them in full, or settle for less. Or will it not make any difference at this point.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections pif vs settle

If the debt owner will accept less than the full amount as settlement of the debt, then the debt is discharged.

That requires the collection to be promptly updated to show paid, $0 balance, and closed, the same as if paid in full.

However, if paid for less, they have the option to record that fact in the consumer's credit file by adding the special comment of paid/settled for less.

Presence of that special comment advises others who do a manual review that you have a history of not paying the entire debt that you obligated, which is never a favorable comment.

You can, as part of a settlement negotiation, include as a condition that they agree not to report any comments or status that reflects the debt was paid for less than its full amount.  The reporting will then appear the same in a manual review as if it were paid in full.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.