Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections question -

tag
thomcoogan
Established Member

Collections question -

Hey all,

Long story short, I had a recurring payment set up on a credit card with HSN to pay off a purchase from 2010.  The card was lost, replacement sent, didnt realize the payments were stopped to HSN.  Cut to 2014 and I receive a call from Rash Curtis saying I owe nearly double the original purchase price.  I tell them send me something in writing I dont know what charges they are talking about (it took me a while to figure out it was HSN, as the amount they told me I owed made no sense...).  

Never received a letter.

So, I dispute it, and don't hear anything for a while.  

I realize I should have paid it at the time, but life happens...

I just recently looked at my experian report and it shows there is still a collection from Rash Curtis, but the starting date is not 2010, 2011 or 2014.  It is 2016!

How is this possible?  Is there a loophole where they can reset the timeframe every year or something?  

Also I noticed they keep dinging my report with hard inquiries every other month, without my consent.  

Any advice on what I should do?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections question -

I don't know about the date part, but a company can make inquiries when trying to collect a debt.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I assume you are referring to the Open date for the collection?

Message 3 of 5
thomcoogan
Established Member

Yes, it looks like they initially took over the debt in 2011, but my credit report makes it seem like it is a new debt collection from 2016. I thought there was a 7 year "age off" where it will only stay on your report for 7 years?
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@thomcoogan wrote:
Yes, it looks like they initially took over the debt in 2011, but my credit report makes it seem like it is a new debt collection from 2016. I thought there was a 7 year "age off" where it will only stay on your report for 7 years?

Date of status can be in 2016 but the time it can remain on file is at most 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD which is set by the OC once the account is COed

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.