cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections reappearing...Please Help!!!

tag
sengaek
New Visitor

Collections reappearing...Please Help!!!

I was a victim of ID Theft and a fraudulent account was opened with a utilities company in 2008..According to the original creditor the date of 1st delinquency is Aug 2008.  I had a CA try to collect on this debt in Aug 2011, but I successfully stopped the CA and Utilities company from collecting on this fraudulent debt.  I also had it removed from all 3 CRA's and the account was deleted off my 3 CR's.  In April 2013 I noticed the same account reappear under a new CA on my CR's.  EX deleted this with no arguments and informed me to keep contacting them if this occurs again.  As for EQ and TU, I have to wait for 30 day for a reinvestigation.  How do I move forward and have EQ and TU remove this ASAP like EX did, and how can I get the CA to stop reporting this on my credit?

BTW, the 7 years from the 1st delinquency will be up in Aug 2015..Does this give the CRA's and CA's legal right to keep reporting this account on my CR after this date?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
aces33
New Contributor

Re: Collections reappearing...Please Help!!!

You try calling the Utility company out right? ASk for their accounting department give your name and explain to them you have never opened an account with with. Also if anyone ever tries they need to contact you immediately.

Message 2 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Collections reappearing...Please Help!!!

@sengaek wrote:

I was a victim of ID Theft and a fraudulent account was opened with a utilities company in 2008..According to the original creditor the date of 1st delinquency is Aug 2008.  I had a CA try to collect on this debt in Aug 2011, but I successfully stopped the CA and Utilities company from collecting on this fraudulent debt.  I also had it removed from all 3 CRA's and the account was deleted off my 3 CR's.  In April 2013 I noticed the same account reappear under a new CA on my CR's.  EX deleted this with no arguments and informed me to keep contacting them if this occurs again.  As for EQ and TU, I have to wait for 30 day for a reinvestigation.  How do I move forward and have EQ and TU remove this ASAP like EX did, and how can I get the CA to stop reporting this on my credit?

BTW, the 7 years from the 1st delinquency will be up in Aug 2015..Does this give the CRA's and CA's legal right to keep reporting this account on my CR after this date? No, It is usually 7.5 yrs depending if they were reporting 180 days past due (OC) The CRA's will and usually delete the TL at the 7 yr mark. 

Hi sengaek and welcome to th forums. You can call EQ and TU and let them know it's a fraudulent account. More than likely they will require a police report for Identity theft and other documentation. best of luck!!!!

Message 3 of 8
sengaek
New Visitor

Re: Collections reappearing..Please Help!!!

I did that already and had to fill out an affidavit stating ID theft.  I also got a police report to prove my innocence, this I guess facilitated the initial removal in 2011.... 

Message 4 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

If you sent the police report to the CRA's with the required docs they are required to remove and block that TL from showing on your credit reports.

Message 5 of 8
sengaek
New Visitor

Thats exactly what I thought, but unfortunately the only CRA that blocked it was EX. Should I send written communication to EQ and TU with a copies of the original correspondence from 2011 or should i get a new police report? 

Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, send them the orignial letters and ask them to block that information, again.

I would also send that information to the CA trying to collect.

Message 7 of 8
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

And look up an atty on NACA to perhaps nudge things in the right direction.

You'd be amazed at what a legitimate (focus on that, not the fly-by-night outfits) can do for you Smiley Happy

BTW, I had a similar issue with a utility bill that WAS for my out-of-state, client-paid-for apartment in 1997 when I rented but it was rerented to an employee of my then client.  She never changed the bill out of my name, and then left after 4 months.

I denied it was mine back in 1997.  Sent paperwork to show that I'd moved out and another employee had moved in.  It came off my credit.  However, I moved back to same area last summer; 15 years later.

Utility company demanded payment for 1997 bill or they would not connect my service in my name, and subsequently, refused to allow my son to get it in his name either.

When the utility company refused to correct the billing error so I could get electricity in my own name, I wrote the VP of customer service.  The old bill is gone.  Service is in my name.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.