Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections removal question(s)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections removal question(s)

Recently discharged bk7 mid July of 2017.  During the bk7 process almost my entire credit file was wiped clean with the exception of 1 collections account on my EX report and a different collections account on my EQ account (Both collections entries reflect that the amounts were included in the bk7).

Both of the records are from 2011, May and Sept I believe (Reports aren't right in front of me).

Besides the 7 year fall off is there any way to get these removed?

During the bk7 process, I released my previous car due to lopsided owe/value and made a very uneducated pannicked decision to obtain a 2 yr old car with substantially less miles than my previous but got hooked for a 19.9% interest rate.  I've also opened up a secured cap1 card and an unsecured capone card and used the sct to obtain a few store cards (Gamestop, WS, Overstock and Eddie Bauer, all places I shop but infrequently and pay the balance as soon as it's reflected on the account).

The problem is, I don't have any trade lines that are older than 3 months resulting in no fico score being shown on any of my reports (I'm open to suggestions on a good service that regularly posts my report/fico for all 3 CRAs)  I'd like to refinance my car to get the interest lower before I start seeing the value shrink faster than debt owed on it but haven't had much luck (Navy fed indicated insufficient credit history)

Suggestions?  (Yes, I'm aware I need to be patient, it's a struggle for me at times)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collections removal question(s)

To obtain removal of a collection prior to its normal exclusion based on age, you must obtain deletion of the collection.

There are two ways to get a collection deleted.

First, you can dispute and show that the debt is not legitimate.  If the dispute is resolved in your favor, then deletion of the collection is mandated.

Note, however, that a dispute must relate to the legitimacy of the debt itself in order to require deletion of the entire collection.  Inaccuracy in reporting of a detail under the collection, such as current balance, only requires deletion, verification, or corrrection of that information, and does not involve any requirment to delete the entire collection.

Second, if the debt/collection is legit, you can request the debt collector to report voluntary deletion of their collection.

However, good-will deletion of a collection based on payment of the debt is usually difficult to obtain, as debt collectors are advised by the CRAs not to grant such deletions.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to remove several collections due to innacuracies. The best thing to do is dig up any old communications with the debt collector, even the original creditor, and look for any errors within their reporting. A couple times I found that the original delinquancy was incorrectly reported by the collection agency and if the account was closed/paid then there is a good chance they wont even respond to the dispute. 

Outside of that you can write a goodwill letter explaining your circumstances. Collectors can be human, I explained a host of medical problems and job changes that resulted in collections. If you get a sympathetic ear there is a good chance they will remove it.

Most importantly, do not give up!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somthing that I noticed when reviewing my reports, the collection account listed on Equifax indicates Status as Open despite in the remarks section it having notes that it was included in the bk7.

After double checking my experian report, the other collection account is the same, status is indicated as open with remarks section having notes indicating it was included in the bk7.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A dispute of an inaccuracy, such as an incorrect status of Open when the debt has been discharged, does NOT raise any requirment to delete the reported collection.

Any dispute is limited to the information that is asserted to be inaccurate, and resolution of the dispute always permits the furnisher to either verify the accuracy as reported, or update the reporting so as to overcome the inaccuracy.  Deletion is only mandated if the information is not either verifiied or corrected.

Hunting for and disputing inaccurate details that do not go to the validity of the debt per se do not mandate deletion of a reported collection.

Such disputes may, in fact, foster ill-will that may be counter-productive in any later request for any consideration of a good-will deletion of a collection.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with Experian, they were able to remove the collection account via early exclusion as it was going to fall off end of December and because it was included in the bankruptcy.

Now to see if Equifax will do the same (It's suppose to fall off in Feb 2018 as is)

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax wouldn't entertain an early exclusion, the CA that had it listed did listen though and indicate (Called in on a different day/time slot to make sure 2 reps indicated the same thing) that they have submitted a request for deletion.

So with that, woot, no derogatory reports except the chapter 7 that will remain there till what feels like an eternity.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.